Notices
Sports NBA, NHL, NCAA, NFL, MLB, PGA & More at The Teamspeed Sports Forum.

Messi On Course To Win FIFA Award - Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Messi On Course To Win FIFA Award - Report

Lionel Messi is on course to pip Cristiano Ronaldo to win the FIFA World Player of the Year accolade because of his Olympic gold medal and great start to the current season - if El Mundo Deportivo are to be believed.

The Barça-biased Catalan daily believe that the Argentinian star will cause a surprise and be awarded the coveted prize at a ceremony in Nyon in January.

Ronaldo is the favourite after he helped steer Manchester United to the English title and the Champions League trophy, netting an incredible 42 goals in all competitions along the way.

While Messi has had an impressive year for both club and country, El Mundo Deportivo do not back up their belief that 'everything is pointing to' him edging out the Portuguese ace.

But the paper feel that, after finishing second in the FIFPro list and the Ballon d'Or to Ronaldo, the Barça star's performance at the Olympic Games and his role in the Catalan team's opening to the season will see him succeed with the FIFA awards.

El Mundo Deportivo appear to be scraping the barrel when stating that while Ronaldo 'disappeared' in the Champions League, even though he scored, Messi dazzles opponents and fans.

If the Argentine was to win, the paper continues, then the 21-year-old would become the second youngest Blaugrana star to win the trophy after Brazilian star Ronaldo, who won it at the age of 20.

Lucas Brown, Goal.com

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 AM
cupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond repute
Ronaldo is over-rated

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cupcake of bahrain
Ronaldo is over-rated
Of course... That's why he scored 42 goals as a winger, who knows how many assists, etc. He is so dangerous... He can score from set pieces, from free kicks, from the penalty spot, as a striker, etc.

I am not going to take a thing from Messi (who I believe is just as good as Ronaldo), but to call Ronaldo overrated is silly...

Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Raz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Of course... That's why he scored 42 goals as a winger, who knows how many assists, etc. He is so dangerous... He can score from set pieces, from free kicks, from the penalty spot, as a striker, etc.

I am not going to take a thing from Messi (who I believe is just as good as Ronaldo), but to call Ronaldo overrated is silly...
Agreed 100%. The way he goes about playing may be arguable, but you can't argue his talent. His ball control is amazing and can score in just about any scenerio. And he's not selfish at all with the amount of assists he gives. As an all round player, it's hard to find much better.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Look, Ronaldo isn't the only player in the world who dives, whines, wears man-capris, or carries a man-purse, but he is the only player in the world with the skills he has. I think Messi is more dangerous in the final third, but Ronaldo can create from the length of the pitch...

Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
The Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond reputeThe Vanq has a reputation beyond repute
Although I would probably slap Ronaldo silly if I ever saw him because of his bitching and constant dives, there is no denying his super-mad skillsz!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like Ronaldo one bit but he deserved the Ballon d'Or and had a mind boggling season last year 42 goals is unheard of ..... I am biased but I do believe Messi is better he just hasn't proven it yet hopefully this year he will

Old 12-18-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
As a footballer, I admire what Messi possesses and how he uses it on the field. He does just as much as Christiano but unfortunately doesn't have the hardware to cement himself as the award winner.

Originally Posted by like.no.other
I don't like Ronaldo one bit but he deserved the Ballon d'Or and had a mind boggling season last year 42 goals is unheard of ..... I am biased but I do believe Messi is better he just hasn't proven it yet hopefully this year he will