Notices
Smoke & Vine Discussion Forum For The Finest Cigars, Wines, and Spirits From Around The Globe.

Daily drinking wines- whatcha like?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond reputeajindfw has a reputation beyond repute
Daily drinking wines- whatcha like?

I'm not really that into wines. I can appreciate the differences between good ones and bad ones, I'm reasonably good at picking them, but I'm just not a part of the wine scene. I don't read the mags, I don't keep up with the latest news about what's hot, and if I need advice I'm fortunate enough to know plenty of people who know their wines.

Sometimes, with friends, the wine can start to flow a bit freely, and at these times IMO you can really appreciate a wine in the sense of how it tastes when you're drinking alot of it. Some wines are great with meals but would be unenjoyable beyond a glass or two. So, in those times, those late nights with good friends telling stories, what are some of your faves?

I like a couple I had recently: Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon from Three Rivers Winery and Penfolds Bin 128 Shiraz. How 'bout any faves of yours?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
Doctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor Love has a reputation beyond repute
I got two bottles of Stryker Sonoma Old Vine Zin for Christmas from a business associate and I was surprised how good and drinkable it was, I think it is probably a $25 bottle of wine but I would have guessed it was more like $60. Good stuff.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I'm a pinot noir fiend...my favorites:

Ambullneo Pinot Noir (Bulldog Reserve)
Williams Selyem (probably my fave and I'm lucky enough to be on their list)
Sea Smoke (bigger Pinot...can hold up to a steak IMO...I'm on the list)
Flowers Andreen Gale (easy drinker...a crowd pleaser)
Pica Madama (Jumillo region of spain...my daily drinker)
Joseph Phelps Insignia (I have half a case of 2001...big boy)
Mondavi Cabernat Reserve 2004 (My favorite cab)
Bremer Family Chardonnay (crowd pleaser...not that oaky crap napa typically puts out)
Love burgundies (red and white)
Just getting into the French stuff

Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
vodkarocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TUUNER

Bremer Family Chardonnay (crowd pleaser...not that oaky crap napa typically puts out)
My favorite Pinot as well.

Never was a big fan of white wines until last weekend. Met the owner of Sauviez Winery in Napa, and got 5 star treatment there. Their Muscat and "French Kiss" is amazing!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
W8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant futureW8MM has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TUUNER

Interesting list.

William Selyem is hard enough to find here in fly-over country that I've only tasted a few while visiting relatives in Sebastopol. Since I didn't get to A/B them with other pinot noirs, I can't really tell if they go to the top of my list, or not.

Got started on Russian River pinot noirs when my wife and I took in the Russian River Valley Winegrowers' August "Grapes to Glass" extravaganza several years ago. William Selyem was pretty low profile at the BBQ/tasting event. Our fave from all those tastings and ancillary tours is Lynmar in Sebastopol. They have some nice single-vineyard Pinot Noir offerings and a Syrah that I like quite a bit.

After hearing about Sea Smoke pinot noir, we were able to try both Southing and Ten at some local (Cincinnati) restaurants. I like Ten better and got some for our cellar.

I also like your selection of Insignia. My wife bought us a bottle of '94 Insignia for our last wedding anniversary and it was one of the best wines that has ever passed my lips. Wow!

Cheers,

Mike

Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond reputeTUUNER has a reputation beyond repute
^^Glad you enjoyed the Insignia!!! I just purchased my allocation of 06 Willams Selyem wine...about 14 bottles. It truly is a magnificent producer of Pinot. I also received my allocation for 06 Flowers. Gonna buy a few cases. I'm saving my Insignia's for a special time...

Sea Smoke is a solid Pinot. I've also had Marcassin, but they are tough to find and very expensive for a Pinot.

Best of luck. Great post!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cole You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Great Thread, I will be following it closely.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
I know its nothing you all dont know about (prally turn your noses up at it!) but i do a LARGE MAGNUM of Yellow Tail....keep it chilled in the fridge and pour myself a glass every now n then....good enough for me (for now) for a daily wine

Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
vodkarocket is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a tasting at Joseph Phelps this previous weekend. I was definitely shocked by how amazing the 2004 Insignia and Red Pastiche were.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 PM
MTK
Banned
MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK
daily table wines:

Opus Cab
Mi Sueño pinot noirs
ZD Cabs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daily drinking wines- whatcha like?