Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a used 1980 Porsche SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
jebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enough
Question about a used 1980 Porsche SC

I’ve been researching Porsches as I hope purchase my first one at some point in the near future. I ran across this 1980 911SC on eBay. It looked to have many of the things I would potentially like, so even though I couldn’t buy at this time, I decided to watch the auction to see where it “ended up”. Turns out that the car didn’t get one single bid.

Being new to Porsches, I’m sure that I’m missing something. The car looks to have a few minor issues, but the price seemed to be reasonable. To those of you who are more familiar with these vehicles than I, can I ask what I’m missing? Is there something about this car that would turn a buyer off? When the time comes that I’m making the purchase, I’d like to be as well informed as possible.

Thank you in advance,

jebfour

P.S.

I really hope I don’t get flamed for a post like this…especially since I only have a few posts on this site!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Aldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished road
Hi Jebfour,
Welcome and you would never get flamed here and it is a good question.

Issues with the car.

Story car? (Maybe)

Mileage - just because a car is old does not mean it does not have a file and paperwork to back up Mileage - Most have.

None original car, originality is where the value is in classic cars.

915 transmission is not liked as much as the G50 box but a good one should shift OK and it seems like the seller is making excuses for the box already.

Good news on the rebuild (but was it just top end and who did it? If it was Porsche or a well respected Porsche indy seller would probably have said who)

On these cars hunting idle can be down to a number of issues such as mixture, vacuum, AFM etc but many of these cars do this and does mean it is serious but it can be expensive to pay a garage to fault hunt an issue like this.

A/C is rubbish on these cars so no loss there no heat could be rusty flapper boxes or Heat exchanger issues hold on, just looked at pictures and it looks like it is because of the exhaust system that has no heat exchangers.

When you buy one of these check for rust in kidney bowls (behind door shuts), under sills, around bottom of windscreen rubber in fact too many places to mention so get it inspected under the law that if you have not found it you have not looked hard enough (post 87 cars 3.2 are better but still have rust)

That said get a good one and pre 1989 911's are the best 911 fun you can have for you money and they start every time .

Good luck with the hunt,
Al

Last edited by Aldo; 08-27-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
^ I have no advice. I just clicked to look at Aldo's avatar. Money

Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
jebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enoughjebfour will become famous soon enough
Aldo,

Thank you very much for your post - very informative! You mentioned that the older cars are worth more if original. When I buy one (it would have to be a bit older, as buying a later model isn't realistic financially), I had planned to use it for track days, auto-crossing, as well as trips along PCH here in California.

Being that I "know myself" I would likely modify the car to a certain extent for performance reasons. By doing this, would I be just throwing money in a hole, and potentially ruining the value of the car should I ever decide to sell it? ...or is there a market for "track cars" that are street legal?

I apologize for the "new guy" questions - I'll try to contain them within this thread!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Aldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished roadAldo is on a distinguished road
I think things for you guys are a bit different but in the UK original cars make much more money that cars that have been modified. My speedy and 930 are how they left the factory and even have the original stereos with tape decks (yes finding tapes is hard work ).

That said if you are buying the car to modify, enjoy and blast up and down tracks and roads all you need to do is buy one that has already been modified (like the one above) because it is the owner that did the first mods that takes any hit not the guy that buys it off him.

You will know more then me on this part but I think the rules for 911 mods are weight first, then brakes/suspension, then engine.

One thing to remember is buy the best you can for your money as the parts for these cars are not cheap and rust can be very expensive to remove especially if in kidney bowls or under windscreen.

There is a good UK based site called impact bumpers full of SC and 3.2 chaps where you can get some extra advice if needed.

Good luck,
Al

Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aldo
Hi Jebfour,
Welcome and you would never get flamed here . . .
Don't be so sure.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by Barrister
Don't be so sure.

That's hilarious