Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTK's dad in law 550A project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 AM
MTK
Banned
MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK MTK
MTK's dad in law 550A project

here it is originally, on the track in Riverside CA circa 1960

he is having it restored all numbers matching, should be done by the end of this year

Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
have you taken any recent pics of it? that thing is sweet. pretty penny too.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 AM
MTK
Banned
more pics next week

Old 04-22-2008, 02:24 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome. Can't wait to see the finished car. Is it local?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:27 AM
MTK
Banned
Originally Posted by Redlinerobert
Awesome. Can't wait to see the finished car. Is it local?
the midworst, but i'm sure it'll be concours level, maybe a future pebble beach?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
i'm feeling lazy but what does 'numbers matching' mean?

if i get some rust-bucket w/ a fender w/ a rusted hole and a missing headlight. i assume i could get the fender fixed and it would remain 'numbers matching'? what do you do about misc things like headlights, bad interior plastic/leather/etc?

a quick school lesson would be appreciated...

- chuck

Old 04-22-2008, 03:10 AM
MTK
Banned
Originally Posted by carendt242

if i get some rust-bucket w/ a fender w/ a rusted hole and a missing headlight. i assume i could get the fender fixed and it would remain 'numbers matching'? what do you do about misc things like headlights, bad interior plastic/leather/etc?

a quick school lesson would be appreciated...

- chuck
first off the car belonged to Jack McAfee . . .
Jack McAfee - Sports Car Racing

A numbers matching car is a car in which the engine and transmission are marked with the same sequence number as the chassis VIN number.

This number is called "the partial VIN code". Since all these parts & numbers match, they were installed at the time the car was built, and the car can be confirmed as original from this standpoint.

The rearend is almost never marked with the VIN. It will have a date code on it which needs to correspond with the vehicle that's being checked. For example it can't have a date on it from AFTER the car was assembled.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 AM
BSM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really nice
Jack McAfee = Porsche racing legend!!!

When done, this 550A is going to be a real treasure.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 AM
BSM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really niceBSM is just really nice
Originally Posted by carendt242
Following up on MTK's response... if you are interested in vintage auto's, its one of the first and most important questions worth asking, and can make a material difference in prominence and valuation premium. As he mentions, its typically the serial # stamped on the chassis, certain body panels, and the engine... tells you that "this is as it was born, all original"... or not.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BSM
Following up on MTK's response... if you are interested in vintage auto's, its one of the first and most important questions worth asking, and can make a material difference in prominence and valuation premium. As he mentions, its typically the serial # stamped on the chassis, certain body panels, and the engine... tells you that "this is as it was born, all original"... or not.
Ok n00b question but if it adds so much to the value of the car, why not stamp a matching serial # on the panels etc. if you can't find all the original parts. Some people are probably only interested in cashing the premium wich comes with an all numbers matching car.

MTK:

Quick Reply: MTK's dad in law 550A project