Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 993 tribute thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche 993 tribute thread

The Porsche 993 is very special to me and my absolute favorite 911. I think it deserves a tribute thread where we can talk about our admiration and awe for this beautiful car. This is why I like the 993 so much:

It was the year 1993 and I was 9 years old. This was about the time when I started putting up F40 and Diablo posters on my walls. I was too young to remember when the Porsche 964 was launched, for me it had just always been there. However when finally the 993 came out it opened my eyes for Porsche and every time I saw one on the streets in Germany where I grew up I could stand for 15 minutes or longer and walk around the car, peek through the windows and admire the big brakes. A good friend of my dad owned a 993 Carrera and I had the privilege to have a ride on the passenger seat on the Autobahn. I still remember seeing the needle point at 270 km/h which was an unbelievable experience for me as a kid.

The end of the 993 and the beginning of the much less charming 996 (especially pre-facelift) was not just another generation shift of the 911. It also marked the end of Porsche's air-cooled flat-6 engines. Compared to its predecessor, the 964, the 993 featured a number of new innovations and technologies. It was the first generation to have a standard six-speed manual transmission, compared to previous cars which had had 4- or 5-speed gearboxes. Other improvements include a new dual-flow exhaust, larger brakes with drilled discs, and revised power steering.

As we all know the 993 came in a wide range of different models and versions, varying in body style, drive-trains, and included equipment. Here's a short list of the most common models:

Carrera Coupe / Cabriolet

Targa

Carrera 4S / Carrera S

Carrera RS

Turbo/Turbo S

GT2

Compared to the 996 and 997, the Porsche 993 was smaller and more compact, giving the car a more go-cart like appearance. The overall design is very soft, elegant and curvy while still masculine and powerful. For me the design is timeless and will never be outdated.

Owning and driving a 993 is an unmistakable proof of good taste and class and true car enthusiasts know that it's a great investment as well as a pleasure. For me the Porsche 993 is associated with much nostalgia and it reminds me why I am so much into cars.

It's an icon within the 911 family and I'm sure we'll see prices continue to rise in the future. My favorite model is the 4s (1996-98) which had the wider body and the bigger brakes from the Turbo but with a naturally aspirated 300hp flat-6.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or experiences from the 993 and of course more pictures

/Ludas

Last edited by Ludas; 05-09-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo /Turbo S are my favourites, after the 993 Porsches were like made less attractive to me.

MY fav is the 964 Turbo 3.6 then the 993 Turbo.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond repute
993 = best 911 ever.

Great thread!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
jcaramia is on a distinguished roadjcaramia is on a distinguished roadjcaramia is on a distinguished roadjcaramia is on a distinguished roadjcaramia is on a distinguished roadjcaramia is on a distinguished road
My favorite as well. I love that blue GT2

More pictures of this amazing car please.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ludas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond reputeLudas has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you agree with me. After I posted this I went for a walk and just happened to walk by this dark blue/purple beauty:

And since you like the GT2 I'll throw in these for you too jcaramia

Old 05-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond reputeTurbofanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ludas

Old 05-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome photos, shouldn't this be in the Porsche's Past subforum?

Back on topic, my favourite is the Turbo S. I wonder why Posted up a few new photos of mine today in the Porsche's Past subforum.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Clubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond reputeClubber has a reputation beyond repute
Best 911 ever ! Gread thread ! Well deserved !

Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Mike S
Awesome photos, shouldn't this be in the Porsche's Past subforum?

Back on topic, my favourite is the Turbo S. I wonder why Posted up a few new photos of mine today in the Porsche's Past subforum.
Oh yeah you're right, sorry about that. Guess it will be moved there soon. Feel free to post some of your pics in here as well Mike.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
i love the 993 so much and agree with you on everything. I grew up with the last year of the 993, the full run of the 996, and currently the 997. I'm 13, and plan on getting a 944 as soon as possible. The 993 definitely doesn't get the commendation it deserves. If I could have a 993, I'd get a 993 Turbo S tuned by RUF in this color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 993 tribute thread