Notices
Porsches from the Past | General Porsche News Air-Cooled 911's, 928, 944, 924, & All Other Past Porsche Models & News.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun times ahead? More details leak out about Porsche's plan for entry level model

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
^^that is hilarious because that's probably what is going to happen...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
don't get me wrong, I am torn about the idea. Do I want a Porsche I can buy for relatively cheap? Absolutely!

But as a car enthusiast I do not want to see the brand diluted even more than it is now

Also, I bet the car would get built in a VW factory and have the finishing touches put on in Stuttgart or Leipzeig (sound familiar?)

Old 10-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
This is where Porsche could make a KILLING and not dilute the brand:

Do a retro car based on the 356, with a flat 4 making about 200-220 hp, weighing around 2600 lbs, no PASM, no upmarket interior w/minimalist dash, bucket seats, no wings, etc. They would sell every single one they could make. I'm sure my wife and I would each get one. I love the 356, but the old car thing and the prices scare me off.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vandalia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
I find these responses very amusing indeed, seeing as though I'm presently the owner of a new VW, and would like to be the owner of a new Porsche. Now, please realize that I wouldn't scramble to the dealership to pick up just any "cheap" car with a Porsche badge. I want a 911, and will wait for my day to make that purchase, and venture to say others like me would as well. I understand current 911 owners are deathly afraid the prestige they purchased with the car will be sold out from under them for the low price of X amount of dollars, but this type of thinking is illogical. A 911 will always be a 911. Somehow you fear your glory will be stricken away when you see a successful 20-something enjoying life in his new (VW) Porsche. For shame. Everyone has to start somewhere, and those that dream of highline Porsche ownership have to ascend the P-car ladder somehow. Aren't we all car people? Maybe it's my thinking that is tragically illogical...

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
oo neat they're going to have a better way to hemorrhage cash, million bucks says its a rebadged deetle or something of that variety

Originally Posted by DJ

Remember the Porsche 914? Most Porschophiles do, although some choose to forget the mid-engined sportscar built from 1969 through 1976. But the four-cylinder model was something of a sales success for the German automaker, handily outpacing the firm's range-topping 911 series throughout its model run. Might we see a return of the entry-level Porsche, once again with a little help from Volkswagen?

Coinciding with earlier reports, a story from Automobilwoche (via Drive), says the answer may very well be 'yes.' According to the German pub, Wolfgang Duerheimer, head of development at Porsche, has said that a model "significantly cheaper than" the Boxster is a top priority for the automaker. The new car would reportedly be produced in cooperation with Volkswagen, which recently assimilated Porsche into its giant European operations.
Autoblog

Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Teamspeed Member
Baron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to allBaron is a name known to all
new 911's have an upmarket interior?? my buddies 08 rabbit gives them a serious run for their money lol, they're atrocious

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
This is where Porsche could make a KILLING and not dilute the brand:

Do a retro car based on the 356, with a flat 4 making about 200-220 hp, weighing around 2600 lbs, no PASM, no upmarket interior w/minimalist dash, bucket seats, no wings, etc. They would sell every single one they could make. I'm sure my wife and I would each get one. I love the 356, but the old car thing and the prices scare me off.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
If the smaller entry-level P-car had performance and driving dynamics in line with say a Beck or Automotive Legends.

But we all know it will in order to meet all safety and emission standards be "heavy", muffled and choked. A GTI today has what 250HP? I would think that a entry-level P-car would have the performance and visceral experience very similar to a GTI. Not that that is a bad thing, but not something that will differenciate it from say a SKY, MR2, or Miata. I do not see how that would benefit Porsche. Now as part of VW they do not need to meet the fleet emmission standards as Porsche alone, quiet frankly the number of Porsches produced should be covered by the Golf platform fleet emissions alone.

I feel that the pending Boxster Speedster will not be signifcantly lighter so that there would be a performance improvement over the current Boxster platform. They same will be with an entry P-car. Wheight and performance in line with a GTI with a turbo 4.

Just MHO. Not something I will run out for to snatch up. It certainly will be nice but not add anything.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
miboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond reputemiboxer96 has a reputation beyond repute
Buy a used 911 for 20-30K.

I thought the boxter was entry level?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vandalia911
I find these responses very amusing indeed, seeing as though I'm presently the owner of a new VW, and would like to be the owner of a new Porsche. Now, please realize that I wouldn't scramble to the dealership to pick up just any "cheap" car with a Porsche badge. I want a 911, and will wait for my day to make that purchase, and venture to say others like me would as well. I understand current 911 owners are deathly afraid the prestige they purchased with the car will be sold out from under them for the low price of X amount of dollars, but this type of thinking is illogical. A 911 will always be a 911. Somehow you fear your glory will be stricken away when you see a successful 20-something enjoying life in his new (VW) Porsche. For shame. Everyone has to start somewhere, and those that dream of highline Porsche ownership have to ascend the P-car ladder somehow. Aren't we all car people? Maybe it's my thinking that is tragically illogical...
You must not have read my post above yours. I've owned a 997S, then a Cayman, and now a 997.2 C4S. I want cheap Porsches - I want to buy one.

Originally Posted by Baron
new 911's have an upmarket interior?? my buddies 08 rabbit gives them a serious run for their money lol, they're atrocious
My '09 C4S has a very nice interior. Not many VWs I know have a full leather dash, Alcantara headliner, carbon fiber buckets w/airbags, touchscreen nav, variable instrument lighting, etc. And yes, I have an '09 GTI, too.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vandalia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
You must not have read my post above yours. I've owned a 997S, then a Cayman, and now a 997.2 C4S. I want cheap Porsches - I want to buy one.
You're right, I didn't read that particular one. I too am all for the idea since I "have nothing to lose" as someone who's not a current Porsche owner. However, it seems you should be applauded for being in what is likely a minority of 911 owners who feel this type of model is "okay". My comment was examining the possibility of 911 owners who would feel their exclusivity is in jeopardy with the sale of an entry-level Porsche (below the Cayman/Boxster) and how very silly such a standpoint would be. Especially considering the beginnings of the brand. People are forgetting that one of Dr. Porsche early dreams after he left Austro-Daimler was to create a people's car. Granted, this is somewhat removed from a modern-day entry Porsche, but you get the point.

Quick Reply: Fun times ahead? More details leak out about Porsche's plan for entry level model