Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Will Power takes the checkered at Long Beach

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Will Power takes the checkered at Long Beach

Name:  96171611094fd9d5b69bfc7beb2d09c9-getty-142952751.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  114.7 KB
Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images

Will Power takes the checkered flag at Long Beach
Power does it again coming from way back to win the 38th Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
Will Power, who started the 38th Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach in Row 6 because of a penalty assessed on all 11 Chevrolet-powered cars for unapproved engine changes, overcame the deficit by stretching 18.5 gallons of E85 the last 31 laps on the 1.968-mile, 11-turn street circuit. All the while being chased down by Simon Pagenaud.

"We really didn’t think it was possible to win from 12th place because it was a two-stop race, but never say never," said Power, who two weeks earlier charged from qualifying ninth to win on the 2.38-mile Barber Motorsports Park road course. "Once again, good strategy with (strategist) Tim (Cindric), Dave (Faustino), my engineer, and all the boys we overcame a 10-spot penalty.”

“We ran hard when we had to. The end there I had to save so much fuel. We’ve been trying to win this race for four years and now we’ve done it."

It was Team Penske's first Indy car victory at Long Beach since 2001 (Helio Castroneves), while Power won the Champ Car finale on the course in 2008 with KV Racing Technology. It also was the third consecutive victory for Team Penske (Helio Castroneves won the opener at St. Petersburg).

"He did the lap time he knew he needed," Cindric said of the driver of the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car who moved to the IZOD IndyCar Series championship points lead.

Tony Kanaan, who started 19th, finished a season-best fourth and JR Hildebrand was fifth -- his best since placing fourth at Iowa last June. Team Penske's Ryan Briscoe, who earned the pole but started 11th because of the engine change-out penalty, finished seventh. Rubens Barrichello (ninth) posted his second consecutive top 10, and Justin Wilson (10th) earned his second.

“Today coming from the back was a tough race but a good break for us,” said Kanaan, who finished 25th and 21st in the first two races. “I mean, we didn’t finish two races in a row so it was nice to finish this one. I’m very happy. I’m happy for the guys. Now let’s go to Brazil – one of my favorite races.”
For the full article head over to Indycar

Name:  74a4308e640319d0bc5d72b47f552a46-getty-142952638.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  108.2 KB
Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images