Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Bad news for Petrov

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Bad news for Petrov

Renault confirm Grosjean signing | Planet F1 | Formula One News

Romain Grosjean will race alongside Kimi Raikkonen at Renault next season, the French team have announced.

Grosjean replaces Vitaly Petrov who has spent the past two seasons with the team. Petrov and Bruno Senna, who occupied Renault's second race seat for the back end of last season, are now both without drives for next season.

Petrov did himself no favours in his bid to retain his spot by heavily criticising the team in the run up to the Abu Dhabi GP, saying that decisions made on the pit wall and poor pit stops where costing him points.

The decision marks a remarkable return for Grosjean who was discarded by the Enstone outfit at the end of 2009 after half a season in the sport. The 25-year-old responded to his sacking by winning the 2010 Auto GP series and following it up with the GP2 title this year.

"I am thrilled to be one of the team's race drivers in 2012. There's a big grin on my face at the prospect of getting behind the wheel of next year's car, and I feel very privileged to be given this opportunity," said Grosjean.

"To be racing alongside a former World Champion and someone who is hungry and returning to Formula 1 will be a great experience, and I'm sure will help raise my level of performance too.

"I feel that my successful season in GP2 Series has helped me mature a lot, and I am a much more complete driver than I was last time I was competing in this sport. Returning to Enstone as a race driver feels like coming home. I will not disappoint and I wish to thank all the people without whom this return to F1 would not have been possible. Total, which supports me since 2006, and Gravity Sport Management, are first on this list."

The deal is sweetened for Renault by the fact that Total have committed their future to the team.

Renault owner Gerard Lopez believes that Grosjean fits in well with the team's new approach.

"Only last week I reiterated that the team is at the start of a brand new cycle," he said.

"Announcing Romain as our race driver alongside Kimi is great news and will help us achieve our aims of getting back to the very top."
Where is Petrov going for 2011?

And will Grosjean be sacked halfway through the year?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
ummmm, this is shocking. Grosjean? is it because they're paying Kimi so much that they need to hire some one cheaply?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by .:Raul
ummmm, this is shocking. Grosjean? is it because they're paying Kimi so much that they need to hire some one cheaply?
Kimi => Money out
Money in => Grosjean

Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Petrov was bringing in some pretty big bucks for the team but I guess Grosjean's been busy lately. Petrov always struck me as a pretty solid mid-pack driver, much moreso than Grosjean anyway. We'll see how this all turns out...

Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Steve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond reputeSteve K has a reputation beyond repute
petrov will probably have a seat with marussia. atleast thats rumor.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K
petrov will probably have a seat with marussia. atleast thats rumor.
that does make sense

Old 12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Wish I could quote on mobile. But, Grosjean has been putting in work. Winning the A1 GP in 2010, think it was the A1 GP, and winning this year's GP2 championship.

Petrov was a solid performer though. With the exception of him of trashing LRGP at the end of the season I see no reason for him getting tossed.

And Petrov going to Marussia is a step back. Unless they've got some secret deal we don't know about, he's making a very big mistake. It's a barely there car with a barely there budget. Like I said unless there's a new powerplant deal that hasn't come to light, Petrov at Marussia is a career ending move.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Marussia has a partnership with Mclaren though... Not sure how much that is going to help them though

Old 12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
As far as I know it's an engineering deal. Nothing of the powerplant sorts. Look at Force India. Started running the Mercedes motor and are a solid middle ground team. Who knows WTF is going on though.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, Christmas has really come early for Grosjean! I didn't see this coming for next season, maybe for 2013, but not 2012. I agree that Petrov did fairly well this year but I suppose highlights how competitive Formula one is, and how much of a cut-throat sport it is.

I'll be very interested to see how he performs, and starting off with Renault is a pretty good effort.

Quick Reply: Bad news for Petrov