Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Ecclestone - Austin Race Set To Be Called Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
ARTX is an unknown quantity at this point
[nm]

Last edited by ARTX; 11-17-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MexicoBlue
Pathetic.

And what is the cost of the track and facilities? Are they really unable to come up with an LOC guaranteeing Ecclestone and his gang $25 million? Hard to believe that would be the case, if they were seriously able to finance this construction.
My thoughts exactly. However, if I'm honest, I am more upset about the fact that we won't have an F1 level track so close to home. Hopefully, Bernie is just being his usual ****y self. I hope that the track could be finished regardless, though it doesn't seem possible. I find sports car racing substantially more entertaining any way.

Last edited by "The JC"; 11-17-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
It just proves Bernie is down for doing business by any means necessary.

Tavo Hellmund was his assistant for quite some time. Of all people, he should know how Bernie acts.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Teamspeed Member
airflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond reputeairflite1 has a reputation beyond repute
I just read in Cycle News, That Bernie has postponed the first race from 2012 to 2013.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by airflite1
I just read in Cycle News, That Bernie has postponed the first race from 2012 to 2013.
I read that earlier as well.

Austin bosses seeking 2013 date?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 PM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Tavo's press conference audio: http://www.theaustingrandprix.com/news/

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Source: Bernie Ecclestone gives Austin one week to secure future of United States Grand Prix | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Ecclestone gives Austin one week

Bernie Ecclestone has issued the Circuit of the Americas owners with a deadline of "next week" to try and save the United States Grand Prix.

Construction work on the site in Austin, Texas has halted since it was revealed that the promoters didn't have a contract in place to host the race in 2012 following a breach. With state funding in advance of the event having also been withdrawn, Ecclestone said that a contract would need to be signed before the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) meets on December 7 to ratify the final 2012 calendar.

"It needs to be before that," Ecclestone said. "We don't need any deadlines, having to thrash around at the last minute to do something. It's gone on long enough. They [the Texas circuit owners] have got next week anyway. We are going to be in Brazil so they can come back next week."

Asked if that would be the end of the race if the deadline was not met Ecclestone replied: "Yeah, yeah."

Ecclestone also said that it was not a case of brinkmanship, and that he would have no option but to cancel the race completely if Austin could not find the funds to secure a deal.

"There's nothing to save. They can't bloody well pay. What do you want me to do, wait until next year? To put all our cars on it, run around the circuit and everything and come back with no money? The teams want paying. It's not brinkmanship; it never has been with me. I've been trying to do a deal now with these people for 18 months or more … if they had the money, I'm sure there would be no problem."

A statement from Circuit of the Americas president Steve Sexton said that it would look to put together a deal to host the race from 2013 onwards in order to ensure the track has the maximum preparation time.

"We have been excited for and working towards a 2012 USGP race and now understand that Mr Ecclestone is interested in moving the Austin race to 2013," Sexton said. "We know the US market is important to the teams and their sponsors and 2013 certainly allows time for the Circuit of the Americas to be ready."

Race promoter Tavo Hellmund said that Ecclestone had been as helpful as possible, and that the circuit owners only had themselves to blame.

"The reason we don't have a contract with Formula One is because as a project, we have failed many times over to fulfill our financial obligations to Formula One. It's literally that simple," Hellmund said. "Right now we should be praising Mr. Ecclestone. We were in breach on multiple issues as late as May. And he sent numerous requests and letters that we were all aware of how to fix it and we failed to do that."

Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
That truly sucks

Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
It does... also thought it was interesting, given what's been said about Bernie in this thread, that Hellmund basically admitted it's their fault for not coming through on this.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Why would anyone blame anyone but the Austin track. Possibly they were hoping for State funding and it was never going to happen. I'm sure it's not entirely easy to find 10's of millions in this climate to pay for a race to show on top of building a circuit.

Quick Reply: Ecclestone - Austin Race Set To Be Called Off