Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Indy Driver Dan Wheldon dies following crash in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
Indy cars are scary fast in a straight line. Maybe they need to employ some Formula One technology in these cars, to increase safety and reduce top speeds.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Super Super Super Member!
Super D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond reputeSuper D has a reputation beyond repute
This is his family's worst nightmare. I cannot imagine how devastated his team, friends and competitors must be.

Open wheel is potentially incredibly dangerous, then add the open cockpit on top of it, and you've got another huge danger factor. Still, I'm surprised actually that anyone gets seriously injured anymore. So much preparation and engineering is put into these vehicles to protect the driver. But the only way to truly make them safer beyond where we are now is to encapsulate the cockpit and take away the ability for wheels to hook up.

I watched in horror when Jeff Krosnoff was killed, hooking up wheels on a staightaway at Toronto. If those weren't open wheel cars, the hookup wouldn't have happened, the car wouldn't have gone airborne, the track marshall behind the wall wouldn't have gotten killed by Jeff's spinning, flying car, and Jeff would've survived as well. Another young, talented racer with a young family taken far too soon.

Open wheel racing is dangerous, thrilling, fast and there's nothing like it. That's why it survives and continues to generate business. I was rather hoping we wouldn't see any serious injuries any more. I thought we were able to engineer our way out of it. But we really, until all four wheels are protected from direct contact, and until the driver's exposure is taken away, periodically, this will happen again.

I wonder how this will affect sponsorships in 2012. And how it'll affect the other drivers.

I half expected Tony K to say this will be his last race in that post-crash interview. I'd imagine when you're a veteran and see something happen like this, you've got to take stock of your life and wonder if it's smart to continue gambling when it can all get taken away so swiftly.

This could've resulted in several drivers dead. Easily. Such a complex and violent accident reminds us how cruel physics is at speed. And how fragile we are, despite our continual advances in technology, we're still only human.

My thoughts go out to his family the most. Dad is supposed to come home, grow old, tell tall tales. Not get taken early. That crushes a child, and a wife.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:49 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
st00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond repute
The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision Carroll Smith

Sometimes that collision is fatal...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
4RD4TW has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Such devastating news! RIP Dan and my condolences to his family and friends.

Hope all the other drivers are OK as well, Will Power has had to withdraw from this weekend's V8 Supercars Gold Cost 600 here in Australia due to back injuries...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
st00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond repute
A good write up from Ole Joe

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...the-day-after/

We’re heading up through Korea towards Seoul on the high-speed train, but today there is a sense of weariness in the party. It was a long night. Not just because we were doing the usual tiring post-Grand Prix routine of crashing out words, but because at around five o’clock in the morning word began to arrive of the huge IndyCar shunt at Las Vegas. At the time I was writing a story for my business newsletter which suggested that Dan Wheldon was on the verge of agreeing a deal to replace Danica Patrick in the Go Daddy-sponsored entry at Andretti Autosport for next year.

The first reports from Las Vegas were confused, as they often are when there is a big accident. In my experience even Media Centres are unreliable places after big crashes. People fears the worst and rumours spread faster than the wildest of fires. With modern technology as it is, Twittle-tattle is a dangerous thing.

Youtube videos of the accident began to appear and one could begin to understand the scale of the incident and to see that the drivers involved had no real chance of reacting to what was happening ahead of them. In most forms of racing there is still time to react, but with IndyCars on flat-out ovals, everyone is travelling at maximum speed – all the time. The cars are all close together, three and even four abreast, and that means that there is virtually no reaction time.

Formula 1 is fast and exciting but, apart from the first laps of races, the fights usually involve two or perhaps three cars, dicing but not stacked up as they are on the ovals. The drivers are usually able to react to what happens ahead of them, but even then there are crashes, such as the one we saw last year when Mark Webber rode over the back of Heikki Kovalainen in Valencia. Watching three or four such accidents happening simultaneously in Las Vegas was stunning.

The thing that shocked me the most was the randomness of it all. Racing drivers never dwell on these things for long. They believe that it will never happen to them. If they did not believe that they would not race the cars as they do. But I am sure that today all of them will be mulling the thought: There, but for the grace of God, go I. And how true that it.

In Formula 1 we are used to seeing drivers walk away from every crash. The safety engineers have done so many brilliant things in the last 15 years that there are even a few misguided folk who believe that danger can be designed out of the sport. That is naive because when racing cars go out of control, no-one controls trajectories, no-one can predict the interplay between cars and parts as they bounce around. A wheel tagged here and a glancing blow there can completely change the effects of a crash. People say there is no luck in motor racing, but that is not strictly true. Luck is always involved when things are out of control.

Think back a few years to 2006 when a piece of flying debris flew into the cockpit of Sebastian Vettel’s Renault World Series car during a crash at Spa and cut deeply into his finger. Surgeons were able to save the finger and Vettel was soon back in action. Think also of Red Bull Racing’s Helmut Marko, who lost an eye in his first race in a decent F1 car back in 1972 when a stone was thrown up and hit him. Think of Felipe Massa who races just as ever he did. An inch here or there makes all the difference. Think of Henry Surtees, killed by a glancing blow of an errant wheel from another car in a Formula 2 race at Brands Hatch, a week after Massa was injured by flying debris in Hungary.

“We all know this is part of the sport,” said Oriol Servia in Las Vegas. “Cars are getting safer, tracks are getting safer so fortunately it hasn’t happened in a long time. We knew it could happen, but it’s just really sad. It’s so tough to understand when somebody is gone that quickly.”

Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Where the heck is the structure of the car gone? Luckily it's the last race for these cars, if I was a driver, id refuse to go out in them again knowing that the design is so compromised.

I've cropped the picture to show from the cockpit back but not to show his helmet.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I penned a short bio about Wheldon for anyone who is interested.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-sto...78-2011-a.html

Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
Will Power has had to withdraw from this weekend's V8 Supercars Gold Cost 600 here in Australia due to back injuries...
Damn, that's a shame. Now we will be two drivers down.

Will Power Onboard Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300 - YouTube

That right front wheel came super close to smashing into Power's head.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
Where the heck is the structure of the car gone? Luckily it's the last race for these cars, if I was a driver, id refuse to go out in them again knowing that the design is so compromised.

I've cropped the picture to show from the cockpit back but not to show his helmet.

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/rshcf6.jpg[/MG]
he went top first into the wire catch fence at least at 160mph+; the fence would of acted like a cheese grater on all that carbon (does the current indy car even have a steel hoop?? I don't know)

Last edited by st00ge; 10-17-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, my Wheldon retrospective got moved around and reposted.

Here is the current link.

https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-sto...look-back.html

I hope that you guys like it.

Quick Reply: Indy Driver Dan Wheldon dies following crash in Las Vegas