Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

McLaren Looking Forward To Singapore

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Post McLaren Looking Forward To Singapore

McLaren Looking Forward To Singapore

Text and Photo by Dana Larkin

Under the lights in Singapore next week, Sebastian Vettel could lock up his second world driver championship in a row. But to do so, he will need to overcome hard charging McLaren who seem determined to delay Vettel’s celebration. The combination of DRS use to overtake at the front and his driver’s recent success against Red Bull have prompted McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh to gush about what he foresees being an “electrifying” race.

“We go to Singapore feeling very encouraged about our performance potential,” said Whitmarsh. “I also think we’re set to continue the trend we’ve witnessed so far this season, with DRS enlivening races that hitherto would have been somewhat processional.

AUTOSPORT is reporting that the DRS detection zone will be set after Turn 3, just past the track’s winding first sector. That would put notification in the braking zone of Turn 5 and activation on the exit of the same turn. This will allow DRS use down the long straightaway that approaches turn 7.

Despite Red Bull wins at both Belgium and Italy, McLaren had strong pace and – conceivably – could have won both races. At Spa, Jenson Button overcame a 13th place start to finish on the podium and pulled off a similar feat coming from 7th on the grid to finish 2nd at Monza.

Jenson Button has the Singapore night race on his short list of races he would most like to win. “This is one of the races I’d most love to win, and I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to show the same sort of pace that we showed at Monaco and Hungary, where I had two of my best drives of the year,” Button said.

Button’s teammate Lewis Hamilton – who won this race in 2009 – also has faith that the Rocket Red will shine in Singapore. “I think we had a car capable of winning in both Belgium and Italy, so I really want to make sure we arrive in Singapore with a good set-up, and that we’re able to run with it through practice and qualifying,” said Hamilton. “If it all goes to plan, we should be in good shape on Sunday.

“Even though the title is now almost out of reach I’ll be pushing hard for the best possible result. I will never give up and I’ll be driving to win as always.”

Last edited by Barrister; 09-17-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I think the podium will be well within the reach of McLaren in Singapore but they’ll have a tough fight against Red Bull. I’d put my money on Jenson Button to do well at this race for McLaren, given his recent momentum, but hopefully Lewis can stay out of trouble and put in a good show as well.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the rough
A little competition is good for the sport, but I don't see anyone putting a stop to SV anytime soon..

Old 09-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 09-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^ I know. You are too busy seeing if the Red Sox will blow the wild card.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
^^ I'm not worried.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
sammyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Any TSer's planning to attend this weekend?

-Sam