Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

"Senna" - Movie Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
"Senna" - Movie Review

"Senna" - Movie Review

Review by Dana Larkin

It was more than a year ago that I first heard that a major motion picture documentary chronicling the life and career of Ayrton Senna was in the works. As a devoted Formula 1 fan, I was thrilled and couldn't wait to see it. I closely followed the film's international release and the rave reviews that it received. Then a friend of mine in the movie industry called from the Sundance Film festival to tell me that he had just seen the documentary and that it was the best movie he had screened at the event. Needless to say, all of this made me very anxious to witness the film in person. Today, I finally got my chance and it was well worth the wait.

This thrilling documentary by filmmaker Asif Kapadia tells the story of Senna's career with breathtaking emotion. It begins by recounting Senna's humble beginnings in karting when - according to Senna - racing was pure, without the stain of money or politics - and ends with his tragic death in a mysterious 1994 crash. In between, the film elegantly portrays Senna's rise through the F1 ranks with the Toleman and Lotus teams and eventually to McLaren where he would win three world championships by age 31. The film does an adept job at exposing some of the political forces that aligned against him - like the French FIA boss who seemed to do all he could to favor Senna's teammate and nemesis Alain Prost. But what the film does best is reveal the personal relationships that Senna developed during his career and the remarkable impact that he had on the lives of those around him.

The U.S. release of the film features a continuous and visceral string of racing footage and period interviews with Senna himself. While the soundtrack includes current commentary from a bevy of folks who knew Senna best, The film never pulls away from these powerful vintage scenes. This works both for and against the film. On the one hand it is enthralling to constantly see and hear the gritty and grainy archival footage captured entirely with yesterday's technology. Yet, without any type of contemporary "sit-down" interview footage, some of the voices seem to lack context. While I commend Kapadia on his stylistic consistency and recognize the need to keep the movie's length under control, a bit more background on some of the key figures whose voices narrate the story would have been appreciated.

Thankfully, the majority of the commentary is done by Senna himself - who we can both see and hear. And while Senna speaks with intelligence and emotion, he is clearly not without faults. He is visibly bitter about decisions that rob him of victories, refuses to address his own mortality and flaunts his deep religious convictions. His seemingly abrupt decision to leave McLaren for the technologically superior Williams team - in hindsight - make him look impetuous and like an almost impossible to please perfectionist. Yet he is always extremely sincere and - at times - even humble. Most of all, Senna's overwhelming charisma and likeability bleed through in each and every scene. And despite his weaknesses, Senna never forgets what chiefly motivated him - an abiding commitment to excellence and winning.

You don't need to be a motor sports fan to enjoy this film. Senna's heroic struggle against his rivals both on and off the track will register even with a total racing novice. It does not take a racing expert to comprehend the elation in Senna's face after winning a race with a car stuck in sixth gear or the fear expressed after seeing a fellow driver killed on a television screen. Even Senna's tragic death is handled with a sense of artistic nobility. Particularly powerful are the scenes depicting Senna's friends, family and colleagues both celebrating wins with him and grieving at his funeral. As the film cuts back and forth from elation to total grief, a portrait of a man whose every move had a marvelous impact on all that knew him becomes crystal clear.

"Senna" is a comprehensive, powerful and sensitive film about a remarkable man. But it is also an honest tale about a very human champion. In the end, while Senna was a brilliant driver with scores of thrilling triumphs, this film sheds light on the losses that inevitably hide behind the victories. In that way, this film distinguishes itself and rises above the traditional sports documentary. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Barrister; 08-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome. I can't wait to see it - thanks for the detailed write-up, Dana.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond repute
Great write-up Dana, I too can't wait to see it!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Funny, I didn't love the movie, as I found it just scratched the surface of too many different events. Many times I wish they went into more detail.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up, I enjoyed the film as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
On my bluray buy list.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Nan
Teamspeed Member
Nan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enoughNan will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the write up.

Two deaths that where very hard to swallow: Ayrton Senna & Colin McRae.
I can't wait to see this video.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Teamspeed Member
Spadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the rough
Saw this a couple of months ago and it's been my favourite film of the year.
Alain Prost makes a great villain

Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Teamspeed Member
HassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura aboutHassaanAbdeen has a spectacular aura about
Thank you very much for addressing the film in a very interesting way... I look forward to watch it soon.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Vasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to allVasbotten is a name known to all
Thanks, can`t wait to see this film.

Quick Reply: "Senna" - Movie Review