Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Sebastian Vettel's rivals concede defeat in title race

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
Sebastian Vettel's rivals concede defeat in title race

Is this the least exciting (excluding Montreal) F1 season of recent times so far?

Sebastian Vettel's rivals have admitted defeat in the race for this year's title following the Red Bull driver's sixth win of the season in Valencia.

German Vettel extended his championship lead to 77 points after eight rounds with his lights-to-flag victory.

And despite there being 11 races left in the calendar, Lewis Hamilton said: "It's finished really. In the sense of the title it's almost over already."

"The championship is not in our calculations," added Fernando Alonso.

"If anyone thinks we can win the championship being eight-tenths of a second behind [Red Bull] they don't understand Formula 1."

Vettel and Red Bull have been almost completely dominant throughout the season.

The 23-year-old has secured pole position in seven of the eight races so far, going on to win six of them, and is the first man to finish first or second in the first eight races of a Formula 1 season.

In total, Vettel has dropped only 14 points all season, and his pace compared to his rivals in the last two races has been even more impressive given that the Canadian and European Grands Prix are not circuits ideally suited to the Red Bull's strengths - in particular on high-speed corners.

But the reigning champion refused to dwell on his championship lead after winning in Valencia.

"If you look at F1 compared to other sports it's a very long season," he said. "You will have some races where it will work and races when you will struggle and it will be difficult.

"I think you need to look at last year as an example. It shows that we [Red Bull] had good races up to a certain point and then things went wrong.

"Of course, our target is to be in the lead and make sure we stay there but the most important race to lead the championship is after the last one."

However, with the gap to McLaren driver Jenson Button and Red Bull team-mate Mark Webber now 77 points - McLaren's Hamilton is 89 points adrift and Ferrari's Alonso 99 points off the pace - Vettel's rivals all believe the race is only on for second.

Hamilton and Button are even concerned that the gap between them and Red Bull could be more pronounced in the next race at Silverstone.

"We've taken a step back this weekend - or maybe the others have gone forward," said Hamilton. "I think we're quite a bit down in downforce.

"We haven't made an upgrade on that for several weeks, especially rear downforce, and I think that in the next race we may really struggle again.

"I'm really not looking forward to Silverstone. Ferrari are a lot faster than us and the Red Bulls are on another planet."

Button added: "We need some really good upgrades going forward.

"We need to get our heads down and come up with something - particularly aerodynamically, I think. We need to take some risks.

"There's a big gap behind us to the Mercedes and a big gap in front of us in terms of Ferrari and Red Bull."

Alonso, meanwhile, reiterated his pre-race belief that his focus is solely on beating the chasing pack to second behind Vettel.

"I think second place is the maximum we can have in these days, so to be here between the Red Bull cars is a great achievement [today]," said the Spaniard.

"Our aim is to fight with the McLarens."

Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I hate to think of these guys giving up the title race but I can definitely understand where they're coming from. I'd hate for Vettel to become the new Schumacher with season after season of domination. Nothing will lose chunks of the fanbase faster than seeing the same guy win race after race for the rest of the season, or multiple years to come.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I don't buy this.

At this point last year, we were all saying that Webber had it sewn up and that Vettel made too many mistakes to win a World Championship.

Then after Spa it was Lewis Hamilton in the driver's seat and picked to go all the way.

Then it was Fernando Alonso going into the final race.

Then - low and behold - Vettel wins the World Championship.

Lots can still happen. I am not counting anyone out just yet.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
I don't buy this.

At this point last year, we were all saying that Webber had it sewn up and that Vettel made too many mistakes to win a World Championship.

Then after Spa it was Lewis Hamilton in the driver's seat and picked to go all the way.

Then it was Fernando Alonso going into the final race.

Then - low and behold - Vettel wins the World Championship.

Lots can still happen. I am not counting anyone out just yet.

You could be right, I really hope so, but something about this season just doesnt seem the same. If I remember right, last year Seb had a lot of bad luck and the team was definately letting Webber fight for the title. This year I think the team is putting all it's eggs in Seb's basket and he just isnt having the same bad luck as last year.

The only thing that will shift the current dominance this year is if the new FIA reg's have a major negative effect on Red Bull and nobody else.

That being said....go Schumi....go Button

Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Webber should take Seb on a cycling cruise and wreck him...let's see him race with a broken collarbone or something, that'll make things interesting.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Kenyan
M-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond reputeM-Individual has a reputation beyond repute
^^

Never say never in auto racing, way to much can happen

Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
I feel the banning of the blown diffuser will even the field up somewhat. McLaren is, IMO, still able to grab a hold on Vettel. I feel Ferrari is DOA...

Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^ Wow. I am surprised you would say that after today.

Ferrari made a serious comeback showing.

I think that the engine mapping ban will hit McLaren hardest of all.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:10 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
^ Wow. I am surprised you would say that after today.

Ferrari made a serious comeback showing.

I think that the engine mapping ban will hit McLaren hardest of all.
Ferrari had a great day and I enjoyed that part of the race. I'm disappointed. How can they be this lackluster after such an impressive year last season? I am happy Massa has been somewhat better this year. Get the F151 ready Ferrari...

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 65°V12
Ferrari had a great day and I enjoyed that part of the race. I'm disappointed. How can they be this lackluster after such an impressive year last season? I am happy Massa has been somewhat better this year. Get the F151 ready Ferrari...
Being impressive last season is part of the reason that they're starting on the back foot this year...99% of their resources during last year went towards that year's development instead of this year's, as is usually the case with championship battles. Adrian Newey's evolution from the RB6 to the RB7 was mild, but it seems that every change has worked in their favor while that hasn't been the case for RB's rivals. Apparently RB's development team is just better than the rest. Ferrari does seem to be making progress and is the 2nd best team at this point.

Quick Reply: Sebastian Vettel's rivals concede defeat in title race