Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Why Red Bull Needs More Than The Fastest Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STLG
Thanks man!

I've been busy with work/school, but hopefully I'll have more time for TS.

8 days til Malaysia!
The Pit-Stop has not been the same without you!

Happy to have you chiming in again.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly I don't see how kers acts as an environmentally friendly tech. Yes it is a recharging system using brake energy, but IMO it only saves energy if they use that to generate constant power in lieu of another source (say having a smaller displacement engine). They use it in addition to the original power source. Maybe I am thinking of it wrong, or f1 knows they can push it as a talking point on the news. For example- using made up figures- if a car has 100 hp last season and uses 100 gallons of gas for a race, they now have the 100 hp engine and use kers for additional performance (short bursts) of say 10 hp so I feel they are using the same 100 gallons. Now if the original car was reduced to 90 hp and the kers added a constant 10 hp, and they then only used 90 gallons for a race, that would be 'green'. I only mention this because I am wondering if I have a misconception of the tech.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Ibrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura aboutIbrahim has a spectacular aura about
Interesting article, Malaysia will reveal everything, the moving rear wing and the KERS should show their true potential.

Basically that's most about KERS, although there is a simpler mechanical KERS, which uses a flywheel attached to the axle, when you brake, the flywheel (which is rotating) is disengaged from the drive axle, then re-engaged when you resume throttle, thus using its momentum to accelerate the axle.

The KERS used in F1 is mechanical-electrical, they do not have a flywheel, only motors/generators, it is basically a hybrid system much like Barrister said, and the trickiest part is the batteries who are simply dead weight in the car.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Master Shake You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Or it will reveal nothing at all.

Formula1.com's forecast? Rain all weekend. Throw away the form book.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Rain in Malaysia!?!?