Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

McLaren's Whitmarsh Continues To Make Excuses For 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
McLaren's Whitmarsh Continues To Make Excuses For 2010

THE FACTS

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh believes that Lewi Hamilton will return to the grid with a steeled resolve after failing to capture the World Championship in 2010. "I think it is well publicised that Lewis had a number of issues," Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT in an exclusive interview. "He is still a very young man. I think he is finding his way as a motor racing driver and in his life, and I think he had some cause for distraction."

Hamilton's toughest critic - Whitmarsh admits - is Lewis himself. "We all know what a superstar he is, and how tough he will be on himself." Whitmarsh continued. "Just as Jenson was tough on himself and disappointed about his end of the season, just as I am tough on myself and the performance of the team."

Hamilton has admitted that off-the-track issues - primarily the decision to split from his father and manager Anthony - diverted the 2008 World Champion's attention. But Lewis - and teammate Jenson Button - have both been given time off this winter to refocus.

Reflecting on the 2010 season Whitmarsh stated that the key lesson was continuing to develop the car. "It was such a tight, fiercely fought, championship that you have to find performance every fortnight. From halfway through the year, it was going to be the team that found the most performance. I think it was as simple as that. Both of our drivers did a great job and I am confident that they will do that in the coming years."

Speaking of teams like Red Bull and Ferrari's aggressive in-season development, Whitmarsh stated, "Maybe we were not as racy in our interpretation of front wing heights as others, and that had notable effects. I was surprised by some of those things, but at the end of the day I am not complaining about what anyone else did. If the opportunity was there, you have to try and do it yourself."

MY TAKE

Am I mistaken, or does this sound like a bunch of hollow excuses. I am a HUGE McLaren fan and an even bigger Lewis Hamilton supporter. But I was disappointed when Lewis publicly tried to excuse some of his 2010 troubles with personal issues. It wasn't his split with Anthony that caused him to hit the wall at Suzuka or crash out at Monza. Race car drivers are trained to put everything aside when on the track. I am positive that Lewis Hamilton can do so as well. He needs to stop making excuses and just win.

Whitmarsh is sounding more and more like he belongs with Ferrari - whining and crying about what everyone else was doing. I largely blame Whitmarsh for losing the development battle in 2010 to both Red Bull and Ferrari. You must create an environment where you are constantly producing improvements to the car. If that well dries up, so long to any chance of winning a championship.

In the end, McLaren will be competative. But whether or not they actually bring home any hardware will not depend so much on Lewis Hamilton keeping his mind straight. Rather, it will be won or lost in the paddock. That is Formula 1. Just ask Adrian Newey.

SOURCES

autosport.com - F1 News: Hamilton will move on from 2010 trials

Last edited by Barrister; 01-18-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
I wonder how long until Ron Dennis gets fed up and steps back in - Dennis seems far more ruthless and cunning than Whitmarsh and maybe that's what you need in your team principal when you operate at this level.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Absolutely!

Whitmarsh has the brains but not the muscle.

He is not nearly cutthroat enough to succeed in F1.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
Perhaps Dennis should take over F1 again and then let Whitmarsh run the McLaren MC4/12 GT3 team!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^ I would love to see Ron back.

Problem is, he is on Bernie's black list.

He avoided a lifetime ban for "Lie-Gate" in exchange for staying out of the spotlight for a few years.

He and Flavio will be back around the same time.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Here's what happened: Nicole didn't give him enough action. Enough to knock any man off his game...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Teamspeed Member
She's quite hot but I got sick of seeing shots of her in the McLaren pit with her stupid, overreactions during EVERY race. Could do without that.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Drama queen for sure.

I'd hit it.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
BigE hates her.... but I'm sure he'd still tap it. Come on, who wouldn't??? I'm sure Jensen has been dreaming about a Jessica/Nicole sandwich.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I think that is what they are discussing here.

Quick Reply: McLaren's Whitmarsh Continues To Make Excuses For 2010