Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

He learned!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
He learned!

Vitaly Petrov has followed the advice of his Lotus Renault bosses and relocated to England.

Petrov was warned towards the end of last year by team owner Gerard Lopez that if he wanted a new contract he would need to move away from his Valencia base.

Following a rollercoaster rookie season Petrov's future was cause for considerable speculation prior to him finally signing a two-year deal just before Christmas.

But on the day Petrov and team principal Eric Boullier officially unveiled the marque's new black and gold livery for their car for the forthcoming season, after agreeing a sponsorship deal with Lotus, the Russian revealed that he has moved.

Speaking at the Autosport International Show at Birmingham's NEC, the Russian said: "I've taken a decision to move to England.

"First of all I'm now closer to the factory, and if I need to I can go any time.

"Secondly I can fly from a bigger airport and I can fly direct to wherever I want to, whereas in Valencia I sometimes had to fly via Madrid or Paris, so it was always complicated.

"But I've no reason to stay in Spain, so this is why I've taken the decision to move to Oxford.

"I don't want to live in London because it's too big for me. I was there a couple of days and there was too much traffic. It took an hour to drive to the factory."

With the new deal in his pocket much will be expected of Petrov, although he is expecting much of himself too.

"I was a little bit nervous about whether I would be given a new contract," added Petrov, who described Renault's new colour scheme as "beautiful".

"It was my rookie year and I knew I had made mistakes, but I also had some good races, so it was 50-50.

"Now I've re-signed I feel much happier. I've already spent a lot of time at the factory because I need to prepare myself with the engineers for this season.

"I feel with a year behind me in Formula One I will now be a much better driver. I want to show improvement, to be consistent and to get more points.

"I know where I need to improve and what I need to do, and I also know all the tracks, so it will be easier to work with the team and for them to work with me."
Petrov will finally improve on his skills!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I like Petrov. The kid's got heart. Hopefully this move will help him focus on racing a bit more.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I like Petrov. The kid's got heart. Hopefully this move will help him focus on racing a bit more.
Good thing is, He really can't get any worse

All jokes aside, I think he'll do a lot better this season. Can't wait to see the results

Only 52 days away!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Still don't like him.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X2daC
Petrov will finally improve on his skills!
Not with Kubica's help:

Petrov: Impossible to learn from 'closed' Kubica

Vitaly Petrov has said his team-mate Robert Kubica gave him no help during his debut season.

Petrov, who will continue with the Enstone-based outfit this year, now re-branded Lotus Renault GP, added that while the data from the Polish driver's car was useful, that was about it.

“If you are team-mates with Robert you cannot learn anything from him because he's a closed person. You just watch his data, how he's working, what he says to the engineers and that's it,” the Russian explained while speaking on the main stage at the recent Autosport International show.

“I didn't learn so much from him, but I learned his way of driving from the data, and I learned from how he talked with his engineers."

Despite a mixed first year at the pinnacle of the sport, Petrov was pleased with his progress and his drive to sixth at the season finale in Abu Dhabi, despite persistent pressure from Fernando Alonso, helped him earn a new two-year deal with the team.

Indeed the 26-year-old really felt things had started to gel and come together by the end of 2010.

“It's like 'welcome to F1', because it's very difficult as a rookie - learning the tracks, the cars and how F1 works,” he continued.

“I had a little bit of pressure, a little bit of nerves, but then finally I found the solution and I think it is working now. Next season I hope will be easier for me,” he summed-up.

Source:Petrov: Impossible to learn from 'closed' Kubica | F1 News | Jan 2011 | Crash.Net