Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Alonso Tags Schumacher As Biggest Rival

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Alonso Tags Schumacher As Biggest Rival

THE FACTS

Despite all-time F1 great Michael Schumacher’s disastrous return to the grid in 2010, two-time world champion Fernando Alonso reckons that Schumi will be his main rival in the upcoming season. "There will be five world champions on the track and the most dangerous champion for me is always Michael," Alonso told reporters during Ferrari's winter retreat in Italy on Thursday. "Now in January if I have to choose one name I have to say Michael. He is seven-time champion, he has nothing to prove. He had a difficult season but he is still a champion. He is still super class and if the car is right he will be a contender."

Still, Alonso acknowledged that the Red Bull team will still be the one to beat and threw a bone to McLaren. "No doubt Sebastian will be a contender. He will have experience and will be calm in certain moments. He will drive better than last year and that makes him dangerous to us. McLaren will also be one of the favourites."

In the end, Alonso stated that his hope is for teammate Felipe Massa to be his primary rival. "Hopefully our car is better than the others and my toughest rival next year is Felipe."

MY TAKE

Yeah. And if I looked like George Clooney I would get more chicks. But it is not the Spaniard’s blatant obviousness that truly shocks in this interview. I think we all agree that if Schumacher has a competitive car, he will contend. The same might be said for Jarno Trulli, Heikki Kovalienen and Kamui Kobayashi. Rather, it is the supreme respect and constant adoration that Michael still receives from the Ferrari paddock that is amazing. I believe that if Schumacher wanted, he could quit Mercedes, walk into the offices in Maranello and take Felipe Massa’s job tomorrow. I kind of wish he would. It would certainly make things interesting.

SOURCES

autosport.com - F1 News: Alonso sees Schumacher as main threat

Last edited by Barrister; 01-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Trulli and Heikki? Really?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
^ If given the right equipment, yes.

Trulli was competing for podiums with Toyota as recently as 20087 - the year they tanked F1.

Kov showed flashes of brilliance with McLaren and is the best of the new team drivers.

And Kobayashi likes passing Schumacher.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
Having the best car is so important, I really hope Mercedes gives Michael something competitive but it seems like their budget just isn't enough to compete with Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
^ If given the right equipment, yes.

Trulli was competing for podiums with Toyota as recently as 20087 - the year they tanked F1.

Kov showed flashes of brilliance with McLaren and is the best of the new team drivers.

And Kobayashi likes passing Schumacher.
I agree with you about Kobayashi - he's shown some real talent. Trulli and Kov, though? They're as talented as the next guy in F1, but I don't think either one is much to write home about. They're not in the same league as Alonso and Hamilton. Neither is Seb, from what I've seen so far (but he'll mature).

Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I really admired the guys at the Super Aguri camp. I knew they weren't going to win. But Takuma Sato really did have some talent. massive balls helped too.

He tended to forget to brake into some corners. I think he thought perhaps he just would be able to pass without having to slow down for the corner, but instead he would just t-bone somebody.