Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Hamilton: Now is the time to fight

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton: Now is the time to fight

From formula1.com:

After three retirements from the last four races, McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton knows he cannot afford another DNF in this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix if he is to keep his title hopes alive. He also knows, however, that an overly cautious approach could cost him the points he needs to close on championship leader Mark Webber.

Hamilton finished third at Suzuka last year - his first Formula One race at the legendary circuit - when McLaren were outpaced by the likes of Red Bull and Toyota. This season, the former champion is out to make amends.

“Suzuka is very much unfinished business for me,” he said. “I raced the best I could last year, but our car just wasn’t fast enough. This year, I’m holding nothing back - I need a strong result to get my title hopes back on track, and that will be my complete focus from the moment I first sit in the cockpit on Friday morning.”

Hamilton limped out of the last round in Singapore with suspension damage after contact with Webber’s Red Bull, which stewards deemed a racing incident. The preceding round at Monza ended in similar fashion after he ran into Felipe Massa’s Ferrari; and he knows that Suzuka will punish any further errors.

“It’s a real driver’s circuit - you need to be committed and precise to do well there, and there’s no room for error either: no tarmac run-off, and all the barriers are pretty close, so any mistake is going to hurt your chances big-time,” he added.

Following Singapore, Hamilton dropped from second to third in the drivers' table and now has 182 points to Webber’s 202 and Fernando Alonso’s 191. With just four races remaining, and with McLaren struggling to match the pace of the Red Bulls and Ferraris, he knows he must attack in Japan.

“Now is not the time to hold back; now is the time to fight,” he concluded.

The Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka takes place on October 08-10.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Button determined to retain his No1

Meanwhile at McLaren...

From planetf1.com:

Jenson Button is adamant he can retain the number '1' this season as the Championship race is still wide open.

Button is the last driver still involved in the battle for the Drivers' Championship title, however, the reigning Champ is 25 points behind Mark Webber.

And with only 100 points to play for - and the Korean GP in doubt - Button's hopes will fade fast if he doesn't pull back points at the next race in Japan.

However, the McLaren driver says he's "determined" to keep the number '1' on his car next season.

"I think the World Championship is still completely open: obviously, there's no room for mistakes, but any of the top five drivers could easily steal the title," he said.

"It might seem a disadvantage to be behind in the points standings, but, make no mistake, I know I can win this Championship.

"I'm still as determined as ever to keep the number one on my car for 2011."

Looking ahead to the Japanese GP, a race the Brit has never won, Button believes he's more than capable of achieving a solid result as the track suits his driving style.

"I love the whole Suzuka experience, the whole atmosphere, which is invariably extremely tense and frantic, because the race always plays such a decisive role in the outcome of World Championships.

"I've had some great results at Suzuka, but I've never won in Japan.

"I think it's a circuit that suits my style - it's all about scrubbing off as little speed as possible through the corners and maintaining a very smooth and precise rhythm: get it wrong and you're usually scrabbling to regain your momentum for several more corners. It's a punishing place."

Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly I'm getting nervous for Mclaren.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
It's a Webber vs Alonso title chase as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Gunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of lightGunther is a glorious beacon of light
It would be great if Webber pulls it out. He has done a fantastic job of driving this year. Very interesting end of the season

Old 10-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Gunther
It would be great if Webber pulls it out. He has done a fantastic job of driving this year. Very interesting end of the season
I'd love to see it too. If anyone deserves the title at this point, it'd be Webber.