Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Button: What was Vettel doing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Button: What was Vettel doing?

From PlanetF1:

Jenson Button has questioned Seb Vettel's driving following the "massive blow" of being shunted out of the Belgian GP by the Red Bull.

Despite carrying front-wing damage, Button was secure in second place before a mistake by Vettel saw his Red Bull slither across the track and slam into the side of the Englishman's McLaren as he approached the final chicane.

The damage was so severe that Button was forced to immediately retire from the race and although Vettel was punished with a drive-through it was of little consolation to the reigning World Champion as he considered his prospects of retaining his title.

"It was a very strange incident," Button reflected. "I don't know what he was doing."

"It's a massive blow [to his title chances]. This one hurts quite a bit."

Button's disappointment was echoed by his team boss Martin Whitmarsh, with the McLaren chief suggesting that Vettel ought to receive additional punishment.

"To me, a drive-through seemed pretty light. But I don't think the stewards have finished their work yet."

An apologetic Vettel has conceded he was at fault - he could hardly argue otherwise - but has insisted that his mistake was nothing more than a racing indicent.

"I'm sorry. It was not my intention to destroy his race or my own. I was following him closely but I braked on the bumps and lost control."

Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Bodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud of
An apologetic Vettel has conceded he was at fault - he could hardly argue otherwise - but has insisted that his mistake was nothing more than a racing indicent.
There is far more that goes into becoming a responsible top professional driver than just having no ill intent towards the other drivers. And the standards for being a top professional driver should reflect this. Each driver's decision making process is critical. One's ability to take in, and disseminate critical data in extremely fast milliseconds, is paramount. Recognizing the immediate dangers, against the probabilities for success, are fundamental to the safety of all of the participants in the sport.

During the Spa Grand Prix , no other drivers had any incidents at this same wet section. All other drivers seemed quite able to recognize the probabilities of danger more correctly. If the youthful exuberance of Vettel, regularly outweighs his own abilities to determine dangers correctly, it then becomes the responsibility of the organization to help him by providing some extra incentives. ( negative reinforcement). Any guess on what Webber thinks of this new Vettel incident?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent points, Bodhii! While I think Vettel has more raw talent than the majority of the field, he lacks the experience to manage it. He also seems incredibly frustrated by the situation with Webber as he's been going back and forth with his team to be the #1 driver which is negatively impacting his driving.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
One of the SpeedTV guys said it best. Vettel has the skill of a top tier driver but he doesn't have the maturity.