Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

What Would a Modern F1 Car Lap The Ring In?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
What Would a Modern F1 Car Lap The Ring In?

Since F1 has not raced at the Ring in a very long time, I was wondering what your thoughts were on how long it would take a modern F1 car to lap the ring.

It seems that more and more productions cars are using there ring times as bragging rights.

Do you guys think a modern F1 car could break 6 minutes? And will we ever see it attempted?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!woppum You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
bet it could make 6 mins, sure it would do a hell of alot of bottoming out. the carousel would be interesting.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 AM
Am I the only one around here who doesn't have a custom member title?
sinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond reputesinan has a reputation beyond repute
According to Wikipedia Stefan Bellof lapped the Nordschleife in 6:11,13 min in his Porsche 956-C with an average speed of over 200 km/h. That was on May 28th 1983

Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Striker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond reputeStriker has a reputation beyond repute
mid or low 5'

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
There's no way a modern F1 car could make it around the track while maintaining proper downforce. That track just wasn't set up for those kinds of cars at all.

That being said, I'd love to see someone try it (although probably with the suspension raised significantly). My guess would be a mid to high 5 min run.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
There's no way a modern F1 car could make it around the track while maintaining proper downforce. That track just wasn't set up for those kinds of cars at all.

That being said, I'd love to see someone try it (although probably with the suspension raised significantly). My guess would be a mid to high 5 min run.
Wasn't it Nico Rosberg or Nick Heidfeld who did it a few years ago? I don't remember the time but it was in an F1 car.

If they could figure out a suspension solution or a different skid plate material an F1 car could possibly lap the ring.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X2daC
Wasn't it Nico Rosberg or Nick Heidfeld who did it a few years ago? I don't remember the time but it was in an F1 car.

If they could figure out a suspension solution or a different skid plate material an F1 car could possibly lap the ring.
Heidfeld

YouTube - BMW F1 Nurburgring Nordschleife Nick Heidfeld [ONBOARD]

Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla

it depends on the cars setup and how you generate the downforce..
if you set the car to produce most of its downforce via flaps and spoilers it easier than if you generate the greater part from the underbody because the clearance to the ground does not maintain constant and you'd have to adjust the dampers and springs to prevent it from being good in one corner and complete crap in the next one..

Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Give one to Sabine Schmitz and see what she can do with it. After all she is the Ring Queen. (Doubt she could drive an F1 car really well though)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
easyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud ofeasyc has much to be proud of
The heifield laps were way off what could be done, as he apparently stopped for photograps and such. From what I remember the R&T estimated a time of just under 5 minutes would be possible extrapolating from his sector times and cornering speeds... But I also remember hearing that the BMW engineers said that a sub 5:30 lap would be possible...

and you can see from the video he took the carousel on the high line out of the bowl...

Quick Reply: What Would a Modern F1 Car Lap The Ring In?