Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Getting an Aerovault - very cool enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Getting an Aerovault - very cool enclosed trailer

I have decided to make the jump from an open trailer to an enclosed one. Now that my 986 is a true Spec Boxster, it is no longer a fully weather proof vehicle. Hence an enclosed trailer can also serve as an extra garage spot for this track only car.

Being a somewhat different sort of person, I wanted to find a trailer which was also somewhat different. I found it: the BRE Aerovault. I saw one of these aluminum beauties at Limerock last month. Some of the pictures below are from that event (credit SeanF on Rennlist for pics). I thought it was a fabulous design so I started researching the trailer and decided to pull the trigger on one. Mine will finish production in October.

The trailer was designed by Peter Brock. There is a great history of his racing and design background on the BRE site (Brock Racing Enterprises). He is known for designs such as the Corvette Stingray and the Cobra Daytona Coupe and its modern equivalent the Brock Superperformance Coupe. Peter’s wife is the CEO of BRE and I’ve had several very nice conversations with her on the phone. Last week, the Brocks were at Pike’s Peak watching Jeff Zwart break a class record for the hill climb in a 997 cup car.

Back to the trailer….
It is all aluminum. I am buying the “L” version which is 12 inches longer making its weight about 2400 pounds. VERY light for an enclosed trailer. The tongue weight of the trailer is just over 300 pounds and does not change much when loaded. The trailer was designed with aerodynamics in mind (as if you couldn’t tell from its unusual shape). It has a remote controlled winch for loading the car making it a one person operation. There is a shelf at the front of the trailer that most people use to hold a set of 4 tires and tool boxes. The sides of the trailer have channels for storing awkward items such as tables and chairs. The rear door is a ramp which in my case will come with optional extension ramps that fold down on the back of the door.

It ain’t cheap at $21K loaded but I think its form and function complement my unusual style (who else has Hello Kitty on their Porsches?).

I still might buy a pick up as a hauler although the Cayenne would do just fine.

I’m VERY excited about this aluminum babe!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Very slick! But holy crap that thing must get hot in the summertime. Make sure you don't leave things that can melt in there

Old 07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Very slick! But holy crap that thing must get hot in the summertime. Make sure you don't leave things that can melt in there
Funny you should mention that. The other day at Watkins Glen I sat in the Cayenne with the A/C on "LO" as it was 90 degrees and full humidity. I opened my cooler and ate 2 of those little Bonibel cheeses that come with the red wax shells. After eating them, I of course put the red wax ball in the coin area on the center console. Two hours later I get into the oven that was my Cayenne and see a red lake in the coin area. So, what did I do? Yeah, I stuck my finger in it. My wife is convinced that only a guy would do that. Yes, it hurt like a SOB thank you very much.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
That thing is slick and I bet you get better than the 7.5mpg I get pulling mine! But damn it looks like a pressure cooker in there!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
that's some amazing trailer you got there

congrats!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Do you winch the cars in/out?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by sean
That thing is slick and I bet you get better than the 7.5mpg I get pulling mine! But damn it looks like a pressure cooker in there!
It supposedly gets pretty good mileage. I'll post in the Fall when I start towing with mine!
Originally Posted by .:Raul
that's some amazing trailer you got there

congrats!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
Do you winch the cars in/out?
Yes. It has a remote controlled winch built in. One person operation!