Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

'We won't make Red Bull's mistakes'

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
'We won't make Red Bull's mistakes'

From PlanetF1:

Lewis Hamilton is convinced he and McLaren team-mate Jenson Button will never become embroiled in an on-track furore like the one that has led to a potential divide within the Red Bull Racing camp.

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner is now faced with picking up the pieces following Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix in which Sebastian Vettel collided with team-mate Mark Webber.

The shunt that sent Vettel into retirement cost the team 28 points and their lead of the constructors' championship as they now trail McLaren by a point as Hamilton led a one-two with Jenson Button.

The British duo, though, were almost involved in their own coming together 10 laps after Vettel turned into Webber, who had been on course for a third consecutive win, only to trail home third.

Although Button temporarily grabbed the lead off Hamilton as they diced side by side through Turns 12, 13 and 14, he soon gave it up for good to the 25-year-old at Turn One.

It was hair-raising stuff for all within McLaren, and perhaps a sign of things to come should the title fight become even hotter as the season progresses.

But Hamilton is adamant it will never descend into them sending one another off the circuit.

"It won't happen with me and Jenson," insisted Hamilton, speaking to Press Association Sport.

"We're both world champions, we're both professionals, and we both have a huge amount of respect for each other.

"We want to finish the race, we do both want to win, but not in an aggressive manner.

"For sure you want to be ahead, so if you finish second you're not the happiest, but he is a very supportive team-mate, he is doing a solid job, and I know when I win he is happy for me and vice versa.

"We had a great battle out there, he wasn't aggressive, he wasn't silly, he didn't make any stupid mistakes, and that's why it was a good fight.

"So I have no doubts the rest of the year will be the same."

There appeared to be a degree of friction between them immediately after the race, with Hamilton perhaps wondering how Button had made a move when they had both been told to turn down their engine to save fuel.

Yet the bonhomie later returned as they were united for the celebratory team photo that always follows a victory.

And as Hamilton departed the McLaren brand centre with *****cat Doll girlfriend Nicole Scherzinger, he gave Button's dad John a firm hug.

"He's been nothing but a positive energy on the team, polite to me and he is a great bloke to get on with," added Hamilton on Button.

"We get on well, we work well together on and off the circuit, and I feel it's great to have a team-mate supporting me in the races as well.

"He was right there behind me helping me fight with the Red Bulls."