Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

'Schu lack energy to return to top form' - Hakkinen

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Post 'Schu lack energy to return to top form' - Hakkinen

Michael Schumacher's age and family could be counting against him as he struggles back to full speed in formula one.

That is the assessment of Mika Hakkinen, who although the same age as Schumacher retired at the end of the 2001 season and returned only to race for a time in the German touring car series DTM.

The Finn thinks his former championship rival returned because he missed the sport's thrill and challenge, but questions the German's ability to now dedicate the same energy as F1's current generation.

Asked to explain the German's struggle so far in 2010, Hakkinen told Germany's Bild am Sonntag newspaper: "It's about the new technology of the cars and the tyres.

"Another reason is he is up against young drivers who know nothing else in their lives other than the battle to win. Their lives consist only of formula one in a sport that requires total concentration and attention.

"It is much more difficult when you're older," said Hakkinen. "If you're 41 then your life is about other things -- family, for example."

He does, however, think Schumacher will break through for a win in 2010, but recalls a sport that supplies "no mercy and no excuses".

"I'm glad I don't do it any more," Hakkinen admitted.

Source: GMM

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I give Hakkinen 100x more credibility than most of Schumi's critics. He fought head-to-head with him at their peak so he knows the man, as a driver and a person. He also touches on something I mentioned in a different thread - the changing technology. When Schumi was involved in the year-in/year-out development of the Ferrari cars, he could keep pace with the rule changes (grooved vs. slicks, wide vs. narrow wings, etc.). With a 3-yr layoff, a lot of technical details have changed...

I still have faith in Schumi, but this is the most valid criticism to date.