Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Looks like Ferrari has an F Duct now

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like Ferrari has an F Duct now

Alonso says Ferrari’s new F-duct will be an advantage
By Hugh Podmore on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fernando Alonso has welcomed the new F-duct system that Ferrari have developed, and hopes it will be advantageous this weekend in China.

Ferrari have in effect copied the idea from McLaren and latterly their engine partner Sauber, who both incorporate similar systems. The system, opened and closed by the driver, permits a new channel of air to flow over the rear wing on straights, reducing drag and increasing straight line speed.

Although it is as yet unclear if Ferrari will race their new untested system, Alonso said it would be an advantage.

“It will be an advantage, no doubt,” Alonso said. “[China has] one of the longest straights in the championship and we know how efficient the McLaren is on the straights and what their top speed in the first races was.

“We saw McLaren very competitive in Malaysia, especially with Lewis [Hamilton] in the dry. But I still think that Red Bull will have a little advantage over everybody again here.”

Alonso stressed, however, that the F-duct was only a small part of an aggressive development drive from his Italian team.

“I know that we keep developing the car, but it’s not maybe the first priority for us, that system. We keep working on our philosophies. There is an important step here to improve the car, and I know that there is more coming in the next races. I’m not specifically worried only about that system.”

Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Tpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant future
Didn't seem to help much in practice last night. Massa, who did not have the duct, was faster than Alonso. Maybe they had different fuel or setups...

Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Alonso's FDuct was on the intake and engine cover of the body work.

It wasn't on the nose can like the McLaren. That was probably it's downfall.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Tpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant futureTpup has a brilliant future
Turns out he did beat Massa in qualifying... It's amazing to me how close the top 10 cars are in time... I was also surprised to see Button take Hamilton in qualifying...

Should be a good race.

Last edited by Tpup; 04-17-2010 at 01:30 PM.