Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Hamilton 'simply faster' than Button - Ecclestone

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
He had no pace because he was trying to keep his car and tires drivable after pitting only once on lap six. Button is a far smoother driver and like Alonso, can take strategic decisions while racing. Not taking anything from Lewis as I'm a big fan of his, but he still needs time to mature up in the cockpit.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
He had no pace because he was trying to keep his car and tires drivable after pitting only once on lap six. Button is a far smoother driver and like Alonso, can take strategic decisions while racing. Not taking anything from Lewis as I'm a big fan of his, but he still needs time to mature up in the cockpit.
Well according to him in a recent interview, the tire was fine.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82515

Lewis Hamilton reckons McLaren threw away a one-two finish in the Australian Grand Prix by making him come in for his second set of tyres.

The former world champion was left deeply disappointed about the strategy decision to make him have a second pitstop for dry tyres - while cars that eventually finished ahead of him stayed on their original sets.

Hamilton has revealed that the decision to stop again was not his, and not even suggested by him, as he felt his rubber was in good shape while he set about challenging Robert Kubica for second place.

"My tyres were fine," he said. "I started off on a good set, got a good start, was up to a pretty good position, up to third, happy with everything and I was pulled in - I don't know why I was pulled in.

"That is what lost us at least a one-two today. I think the tyres would have been pretty good. I may have struggled towards the end, but that is how the other guys did - and it was almost impossible to overtake a Ferrari anyway."

Last edited by The Doctor; 03-29-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
That's the first time I have heard that a World Champion needs to "mature" as a driver.

Nobody is smoother than Lewis. His hands are steady - almost no driver input.

Jense is a great driver. But I refuse to put him in the same category as Lewis Hamilton.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
That's the first time I have heard that a World Champion needs to "mature" as a driver.

Nobody is smoother than Lewis. His hands are steady - almost no driver input.

Jense is a great driver. But I refuse to put him in the same category as Lewis Hamilton.
I think that they compliment each other. Each has his way of driving and both are supremely talented and at the top of their game. Hamilton still takes rash decisions and he's very much into the "moment" without looking at the whole picture. I didn't mean "mature" in a bad way, just that he needs to to weigh risk taking maneuvers more carefully. Part of me likes that about him but the other part thinks that he sometimes throws caution to the wind and does something impulsive when he just needs to be calmer and assess the situation better.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Well according to him in a recent interview, the tire was fine.

autosport.com - F1 News: Hamilton: Strategy cost McLaren a 1-2

Lewis Hamilton reckons McLaren threw away a one-two finish in the Australian Grand Prix by making him come in for his second set of tyres.

The former world champion was left deeply disappointed about the strategy decision to make him have a second pitstop for dry tyres - while cars that eventually finished ahead of him stayed on their original sets.

Hamilton has revealed that the decision to stop again was not his, and not even suggested by him, as he felt his rubber was in good shape while he set about challenging Robert Kubica for second place.

"My tyres were fine," he said. "I started off on a good set, got a good start, was up to a pretty good position, up to third, happy with everything and I was pulled in - I don't know why I was pulled in.

"That is what lost us at least a one-two today. I think the tyres would have been pretty good. I may have struggled towards the end, but that is how the other guys did - and it was almost impossible to overtake a Ferrari anyway."
He should have said no to that strategy. Ultimately, he's the man behind the wheel and he should have made the call and not the team. I am still a huge fan of his, and I would be chuffed if he won another championship.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
If memory serves me, I believe it was Lewis who kept calling into the pits saying his tires were going out and the team told him that his tires were fine.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
I think that they compliment each other. Each has his way of driving and both are supremely talented and at the top of their game. Hamilton still takes rash decisions and he's very much into the "moment" without looking at the whole picture. I didn't mean "mature" in a bad way, just that he needs to to weigh risk taking maneuvers more carefully. Part of me likes that about him but the other part thinks that he sometimes throws caution to the wind and does something impulsive when he just needs to be calmer and assess the situation better.
But I thought it was Webber who crashed into him?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Teamspeed Member
Simple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of lightSimple1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Alzilla
If memory serves me, I believe it was Lewis who kept calling into the pits saying his tires were going out and the team told him that his tires were fine.

Just sayin'.
ummh wrong again bud, that was after the 2nd pit stop and he had made up 15 seconds to catch the Ferraris

Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simple1
ummh wrong again bud, that was after the 2nd pit stop and he had made up 15 seconds to catch the Ferraris
Fair enough. I guess I'll have to rewatch the race tonight!

Quick Reply: Hamilton 'simply faster' than Button - Ecclestone