Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

After A "Processional" Race In Bahrain, Fry Calls For Action To Make F1 More Exciting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
After A "Processional" Race In Bahrain, Fry Calls For Action To Make F1 More Exciting

Like I said in the banter thread, I loved the race but was not overwhelmed by it.

The new rules don't seem to be having the intended affect.

I thought this article was right on point.

Last edited by Barrister; 03-16-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I can think of several ways to make F1 more exciting for the fans:

1) Bring back KERS and make it optional, but offer monetary incentives for teams that utilize it. Obviously, not all the teams liked the system, but I think it's a legitimate option to spice up the races if the teams were given time and money for more testing of the system. It also brought another technical aspect to the sport that F1 has always been known for.

2) Have 3 different tire compounds that must be used in every race. Assuming, of course, that the teams use different tire strategies based on how the cars are set up, it could make the races more interesting to watch with bigger differences in tire performance.

3) Make F1 more like Mario Kart. Put obstacles on the track, let drivers release oil slicks and drop banana peels on the track, attach turtle shell firing devices to the front of the cars, etc. Oh, and make the cars more robust so drivers can be encouraged to bump each other around more often.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
I'm all down for #3.

And they need to bring back driver celebrations.

Do some burn outs, doughnuts, and reverse laps. Something!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
avalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant future
Lol at #3...I can imagine the entire field firing shells at Ferrari hehe

Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by avalon53
Lol at #3...I can imagine the entire field firing shells at Ferrari hehe
Yeah, but then Ferrari would get to the question mark boxes first and get the lightning bolt that would shrink all the other drivers. Schumi would probably end up getting the magic star and just come blazing through the field knocking all the other drivers off the track!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
Bring back refuelling, it mixes up strategies and creates a sense of urgency for the drivers to pass.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quattro joe
Bring back refuelling, it mixes up strategies and creates a sense of urgency for the drivers to pass.
Agreed - I said the same thing in the other thread. I'd never think that refueling and pit stops would help, but last year was certainly more entertaining.

My #1 suggestion is to build the cars strictly on mechanical grip - no external wings, no hidden, flaps. Think mid-60s F1 cars... Then all passing is up to the balls and skill of the drivers.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
My #1 suggestion is to build the cars strictly on mechanical grip - no external wings, no hidden, flaps. Think mid-60s F1 cars... Then all passing is up to the balls and skill of the drivers.
Not a bad suggestion at all.

But no aero means less downforce and slower speeds.

Is that a trade off we are willing to make?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Not a bad suggestion at all.

But no aero means less downforce and slower speeds.

Is that a trade off we are willing to make?
Yes, I would be willing to make that trade. The cars would be incredibly fast on the straights, and since they'd all be running the same tires, mechanical grip and balls would be what determines who comes out ahead in a corner at the end of a long straight.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone is wanting the rules to change including me. It needs more excitement, but once the teams learn the new rules better I believe it will be much better.

Quick Reply: After A "Processional" Race In Bahrain, Fry Calls For Action To Make F1 More Exciting