Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

F1 News: Double Diffusers Banned From 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
F1 News: Double Diffusers Banned From 2011

What a stir Newey and Brawn created with the whole "doubel diffuser"!

Now it will become a footnote in F1 history . . .

Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like they have been banning everything in the past couple of years..

Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
It really did set the tone for last season when Brawn was far and away the fastest team with the double diffuser. It's not like they'd be the only ones with the diffuser at the beginning of the season this year again but I'm cool with the FIA banning them just for the sake of consistency.

On the other hand, I really wish they'd bring KERS back. Maybe not make it mandatory, but offer certain benefits to teams that used it (perhaps give them $1M per race they used it or offered them an extra constructors point per race). I really saw that as a huge leap forward for the sport and it kept the racing really interesting by adding an extra level of technology that the sport has been missing for so long.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Like Horner said in the artcile, I am confused as to what the governing bodies want F1 to be.

Is it meant to be the fastest, most advanced racing league in the world or is it going to be the most disfunctional??

Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I want F1 to be the tech center, the proving ground, etc. Let them run whatever - ABS, traction control, launch control, dual-clutch gearboxes, big-capacity NA or small-capacity FI, etc. Of course some teams will dominate certain seasons because of developing new tech, but isn't that the point?? If I want spec racing, I'll watch Porsche SuperCup or NASCAR.

IMO, it was a mistake to turn off the technologies at the end of the '90s. And that nonsense about it affecting drivers vs. machines? Ridiculous - Schumi won in both eras. The best drivers will always rise to the top. That's why I think the ridicule of Button's WDC is silly, too. I don't care how good the car is, the driver has to win the races.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
. . . Schumi won in both eras.
Had to slip that in there did you??

You are a Schumi nut!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Like Horner said in the artcile, I am confused as to what the governing bodies want F1 to be.

Is it meant to be the fastest, most advanced racing league in the world or is it going to be the most disfunctional??
Agreed... where do they draw the line on allowable technologies?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I think that when the world economy crashed F1 paniced.

They foresaw a racing league with only a few competative teams and a total loss of interest by those nations that could not compete due to financial considerations.

They wanted new blood and with the regs the way they were, it wasn't going to happen.

I would like a no-holds-barred tech love fest as well. But it was getting too damn expensive.

Very few teams had $500 million to spend annually on development.

Look at Honda. They spent nearly $800 million in 3 years and were NEVER competative.

That is, until Ross Brawn took over . . .

Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
Well it certainly looks to be a competitive 2010!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Yes it does.

The new teams should be very interesting to watch.

And I must admit - begrudgingly - that Schumis return is just what F1 needed.

Quick Reply: F1 News: Double Diffusers Banned From 2011