Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Schumacher to replace Massa!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond reputemdoog has a reputation beyond repute
Schumacher to replace Massa!

Ferrari plans to draft in seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher to replace Felipe Massa until the Brazilian is fit enough to return to the cockpit.

According to Ferrari's website, Schumacher has said he is ready and will undergo a specific training programme over the next few days before being confirmed as Massa's replacement for the European Grand Prix at Valencia on August 23.

taken from autosport

I understand that there is a thread about him possibly subbing, but news that he really is deserves its own thread
Should make for a fun race to watch.

From Worldcarfans:
Michael Schumacher on Wednesday announced he is looking forward to the challenge of replacing his injured former Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa at forthcoming grands prix. "I met this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe," the 40-year-old German, who retired in 2006, said.

Schumacher hung up his helmet as a record-holding seven time world champion and winner of 91 grands prix and insists he has never regretted his decision. "Though it is true that the formula one chapter was completely closed for me a long time ago, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore (this) unfortunate situation," he added. "But as the competitor I am I also very much look forward to facing this challenge," said Schumacher.

Ferrari also confirmed the news, following reports in the respectively German and Swiss newspapers Bild and Blick. The Italian team said it will enter Schumacher as the alternative competitor of Massa's car number 3 following a training programme for the German, who earlier this year hurt his neck in a motorcycle testing crash. "I really can't tell you if his neck would be fine to drive an F1 race ... and remember he is a 40-year-old man, too," Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said on Tuesday.

Ferrari Statement
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa's car untill the brazilian driver will be able to race again. Michael Schumacher said he is ready and, over the next few days, will undertake a specifc training programme at the end of which confermation will be given of his participation in the Championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Just beat me to it! Chris was telling me he saw it reported on BBC and I've been digging to confirm.

So the questions:

1. Is he in physical shape to compete after his Feb injuries?
2. Is the car of caliber to match the driver?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Jiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond reputeJiaim has a reputation beyond repute
excellent !

Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Oh sweet jesus!

The GOAT has returned.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
This could be interesting. Finally something to make me want to watch this season...

Old 07-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Here's the text for everybody. Poor Massa, but I think this is going to be awesome.

Schumacher to make F1 return in Spain

By Jonathan Noble Wednesday, July 29th 2009, 16:51 GMT

Michael Schumacher, the seven-times world champion, plans to come out of retirement as Felipe Massa's replacement at Ferrari from the European Grand Prix.

Following days of speculation about who would slot in alongside Kimi Raikkonen following Massa's Hungarian GP crash, Ferrari issued a statement on Wednesday afternoon confirming that Schumacher was being prepared for the role.

The statement said that Schumacher was 'ready' to make his F1 return, and would undertake a training programme over the next few days to ensure he was up to full fitness for an F1 race.

The German, who quit F1 at the end of 2006, injured himself in a motorbike accident earlier this year and the team want to make sure there are no hidden problems before confirming his position.

Schumacher has previously baulked at the idea of returning to F1 full-time, but with Massa looking likely to return when he is back to full fitness, and Ferrari in need of a top-line driver, the opportunity is one that has attracted him.

"The most important thing first: thank God, all news concerning Felipe is positive. I wish him all the best again," said Schumacher.

"I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo, and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe.

"Though it is true that the chapter of Formula 1 has been completely closed for me for a long time, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am, I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

Once Schumacher gets the green light, it will be the first time he has raced alongside Kimi Raikkonen, as the pair bid to secure Ferrari third place in the constructors' championship.

It also comes at a time when Ferrari's F60 appears to have made good progress on the track, and its KERS could prove to be an advantage in the forthcoming races at Valencia, Spa, Monza and Singapore.

Schumacher has not tested the current F60, and has not driven since April 2008 when he ran an F2008 at Barcelona.

The announcement of Schumacher's plans comes 24 hours after his manager Willi Weber totally ruled out the possibility of the German racing in Valencia.

"Whoever sits in the car at the next race in Valencia, it will not be Michael Schumacher. I am not 100 per cent sure; I am 200 per cent sure," Weber was quoted as saying by The Daily Mail.

"The pressure on him would be huge. He would be expected to win, but he has not driven this car. When Michael was racing he would get as close to perfection as possible. In this case, it would not be perfection; it would be a gamble - and that's not Michael's style."

Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTM0TION
This could be interesting. Finally something to make me want to watch this season...
This.

Excellent news!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. The timing could not be better with the 4 week layoff until the next race. Plenty of time for Schumi to sharpen up.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
Awesome

Old 07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
WOW, I cant believe it, F1 was never the same for me after Schumacher left.

Quick Reply: Schumacher to replace Massa!