Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Brawn stir new 'team orders' controversy

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Brawn stir new 'team orders' controversy

As the sun faded behind the Barcelona grandstands, it was clear the old 'team orders' controversy had returned to the F1 paddock.

Rubens Barrichello, for so long Michael Schumacher's lackey at Ferrari, was again at the centre of the storm, refusing to rule out that his former Ferrari strategist Ross Brawn had deployed a strategy to favour his team-mate.

In 2009, Barrichello's championship-leading team-mate is Jenson Button, who like the Brazilian started the Spanish Grand Prix on a three-stop strategy.

At the end of the race, the 36-year-old made no secret of his unhappiness that Button had been moved to a two-stopper, with which the Briton won the race despite Barrichello passing him at the first corner.

Asked by the BBC if he thought Brawn deliberately favoured Button, Barrichello replied: "I hope not. I've been in a team that very much favoured someone else before.

"Ross has been in that position (at Ferrari) too but he likes me very much I think."

For the record, both Brawn and team CEO Nick Fry denied that Barrichello had been deliberately stranded on the slower strategy, instead explaining that Button's two-stopper was to avoid him emerging from the pits in traffic.

Button agreed, closing down the reporters' line of questioning "because it's so far from the situation within our team."

However, Barrichello confirmed he would be asking questions in the race debrief, but played down the comparison between the situation in 2009 and his time at Ferrari.

"It's much more different than it used to be at Ferrari. We have a much more friendly situation (at Brawn), so I'm not blaming this or that," he said.

After a strong weekend in Spain, he also vowed to keep on pushing, having put a winter of speculation behind him to be driving a potentially title-winning car.

"It was not long ago that people were putting flowers on my grave and saying 'thank you very much for your job'," said Barrichello. "So I'm here, very much alive and happy and I'm going to make it work."

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Who is "technically" to primary driver at brawn?? Or isn't there a clear one...

Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
kujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to beholdkujo is a splendid one to behold
I would assume they'd prefer Button, as I'd bet Rubens will be out next year.
But you never know.... it's Ross BRAWN.....

Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kujo
But you never know.... it's Ross BRAWN.....
+ 1

Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I'm wondering whether they'll actually pursue this. You have Button recorded at the end of the race saying "Tell Rubens I'm sorry" , plus the obvious pit strategy change, etc. The stewards would have already penalized McLaren by now, barely 24 hours after the race.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't watch the whole race but it seems to me that Rubens should have won. Button would still have been ahead for the championship and no one is even close.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
They isnt really anything to pursue. No real evidence, not like in the old days at Ferrari anyway.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure the FIA will find a way to blame McLaren for Barrichello getting screwed. Wait for it....

But seriously, it was pretty goofy that they changed Button's strategy to one that was clearly faster while leaving Barrichello behind. Just doesn't make a lot of sense...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
dock both drivers 10 spots on the grid next race.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyBahama
dock both drivers 10 spots on the grid next race.
They'd still probably win...

Quick Reply: Brawn stir new 'team orders' controversy