Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

::Official Sebring 12 Hours:: TS In Collaboration with Chris Grosser Photography

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Chris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation ::Official Sebring 12 Hours:: TS In Collaboration with Chris Grosser Photography

Sebring 12 Hours - one of the most powerful phrases in the automotive dictionary.

Sebring - this single word alone has the potential to evoke feelings of automotive euphoria. Millions of car enthusiasts across the world, myself included, can't help but associate Sebring with thoughts of lightning quick race cars buzzing around the torturous race track better known as Sebring International Raceway.

I just happen to be one of the die-hard racing enthusiasts that is lucky enough to photograph these race cars up close and personal. At times, almost too personal, as I barely escaped making friends with the tires and under body of the Corvette C6R in the pits this weekend.

I consider myself highly fortunate to share with others, through my eyes and photography, these magnificently sexy pieces of machinery, technology, brute power, and love as they seem to effortlessly hover around Sebring's jagged 3.7 mile long, 17 turn track.

Going back two months in time, I sent in my media credential application to ALMS, more specifically Sebring, requesting a media credential for myself to photograph the 12 Hours Race. Having photographed it last year, I quickly jumped on the opportunity to hopefully photograph it again in 2009.

I rented an RV with some of my best friends and arrived at Sebring early Friday afternoon. The race wasn't until Saturday morning but I didn't want to miss a thing!

I went to will call immediately upon my arrival at the track and sheepishly asked if there was a media credential behind the counter for "Chris Grosser" - the kind lady working there replied with, "Here you go, Chris Grosser from TeamSpeed ... enjoy the race."

This was the single greatest sentence I had heard in months. Sebring doesn't inform you prior to the race if your application was accepted or denied. Apparently, I did something right because within a minute I was signing my life and insurance information for potential injuries away! Say no more, I was on my way, two camera bodies in hand, 30 pounds of camera gear and lenses in my backpack, and ready to go hiking around Sebring track side.

Early the next morning, I went to the mandatory media and photographer meeting at 6:45am, which was a bit rough to say the least. I proceeded to check in, picked up my photo vest and ended up photographing for about 8 hours in total throughout the day. It's not too hard to do when my first picture taken that day was at 6:00am in the pits.

There is definitely a reason why they make you sign your life away prior to the track giving you your photography credentials. I think it may have something to do with being encouraged and given access to photograph within 5 feet of race cars passing you in excess of 150+mph. It almost.... just almost, makes me question my sanity but I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Fifteen hundred photos later, yes, you read that right, 1,500 photos!

The fruition of my labor can be found below:

The official link to the gallery on my website with ALL of my photos from Sebring can be located here:

Chris Grosser Photography

Race day - this is what the track looks like at 6:00am. I was on my way to the media meeting:

Welcome to Sebring!

Beginning of the race:

The main attraction, media was ALL over this car - myself included.

Audi R15 - the eventual winner of the race as well.

Last edited by Chris G; 03-23-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Chris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond reputeChris G has a reputation beyond repute
Driver's view:

Hanging out on the track prior to the race:

Up close and personal:

Right before I was nearly run over:

Flying Lizard:

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro

Think the media loved this car or what?!

Again, please check out the gallery on my website for all of the official pictures. There are another 50 or so photos up on my website that I did not post on here, it's well worth the click!

Chris Grosser Photography

Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
First off, I'd like to thank DJ for taking interest in this and giving me the opportunity to collaborate and share my photography work with all of the fantastic members that make up TeamSpeed. I love this place!

ALMS must have taken a particular liking to this forum as they are in charge of reviewing all media applications. They granted me access to photograph Sebring for TeamSpeed specifically. That is a pretty bold and positive statement in its own right.

I know I'm a little late to the party as there are already a few Sebring photo threads in circulation on the forum. Hopefully, it was worth the wait. It took me quite a while to sort through my 1,500+ photos and narrow them down to under 100 to post up on my website in addition to producing the write up from the event.

Regardless, I had a blast and really look forward to doing work with this forum again in the future. I will be at St. Pete Grand Prix in a couple weeks and will be photographing that as well. If there is any further interest and positive feedback from this particular thread, I'll be happy to post up my work from that event as well.

Thank you all for the support, I look forward to hearing your comments and thoughts!

- Chris

Last edited by Chris G; 03-23-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond reputeSWATDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Great photos! And nice to finally meet you Chris. I hope to see you at Sebring again next month and next year! Keep up the great work.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, just wow. I knew you were the man for this job!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
Amazing photos!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Outstanding photography, Chris! I'll post a bit longer of a response in a bit after I've had a chance to see the rest of the photos and can gather my thoughts. I was literally unprepared for the sheer awesomeness of your photos.

BRB...

EDIT:

OK, after reading the whole post, I'd just like the reiterate that you did an incredible job! Your shots this year were leaps and bounds better than the pics you took last year (not that those were too shabby either)! I'm glad DJ was able to hook you up with a press pass, and hopefully he can do the same for me in August at Road America when ALMS comes there. I had also thought press passes were actually unnecessary at Sebring since the track is so flat and the barriers are so low with great views from so many angles, but you really proved me wrong here. There simply is no substitute for an all-access pass! This is especially apparent with the shots on pit lane.

If you don't mind, I also have a few questions for you.

- Did you shoot any of the supporting races like either of the Challenge series or GT3 Cup? I'd love to see your pics from those if you have any.
- Any advice on how to approach DJ about getting a press pass for races like this? He seems willing and able to help but I don't know what (if anything) I need to provide in order to secure credentials.
- Did you have to buy a ticket to the race or does it come included as part of the $300 for the press pass?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some of my favorite shots of yours that you didn't post yet (I hope you don't mind me posting them):

I love how you managed to freeze the action while still making the Audi appear to be going fast! The heat waves do a great job of singling out the R15 without hiding the other cars behind it completely. Plus, this shot captures the R15s battling against the fearsome Peugeot 908 which highlighted some of the best racing of the weekend! Absolutely perfect!

This R15 shot is also impressive, but for different reasons. I like this shot because the true beauty can really only be seen by people who have shot at Sebring before. At any other track, you'd want clean backgrounds, but Sebring is so flat and the landscape is so boring, you actually want stuff in the background. With your flawless panning, you couldn't have nailed this shot any better because the car is perfectly sharp and the colorful background has just the right amount of motion blur to provide a beautiful contrast without being distracting. Again, this is a stunning shot!

I am in love with the lighting in this shot! I'm guessing this was an early evening shot because of the soft, warm glow on the Capello's helmet. I can imagine myself in his place, getting mentally prepared to head out onto the track for another stint. Amazing!

This image is a fantastic as well! You really captured a really nice image here! Looks like it was taken during the middle part of the day but the lighting isn't too harsh or anything. Catching the V8 Vantage with its inside wheel off the ground really defines the intensity of the racing! Another top-notch shot, Chris!

Last edited by Alzilla; 03-23-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, WOW! Thanks so much to DJ and yourself.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome photos Chris!

Dj, whens TS going to be sponsoring one of these badboys?

Quick Reply: ::Official Sebring 12 Hours:: TS In Collaboration with Chris Grosser Photography