Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Monza unhappy with Rome Grand Prix talks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Monza unhappy with Rome Grand Prix talks

The city of Rome is attempting to 'steal' the Italian Grand Prix from historic Monza, according to Monza Mayor Marco Mariani.

Mariani was responding to reports that superbike promoter Maurizio Flammini recently presented F1's Bernie Ecclestone with plans for a Roman street race on the outskirts of the capital.

Mariani said Flammini's move is a 'disgraceful attempt to steal' Formula One from Monza, and Enrico Gelip, President of the Automobile Club d'Italia (ACI), commented that Monza is the 'historic temple of speed and racing' and central to the F1 calendar.

In the pages of La Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo, no fan of street races, denounced the project as 'unthinkable' but said a one-off Rome Grand Prix might be something to be 'talked about'.

Supporting the idea, however, is Rome Mayor Gianni Alemanno, who has set up a working group and admitted it is a 'very interesting project'.

Flammini said: "Our hypothesis is to be ready for 2011, but we wouldn't mind for it to occur earlier than that."

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Monza really is important to the calender, imo. The push for new tracks is frustrating because F1 has a lot of history at some of these tracks and it'd be a shame to ever see them drop from the calender. IMO, I think F1 should have at least 8 or 9 classic tracks that have been used for a long time and then rotate other tracks from around the world to spice things up as necessary.

As for classic tracks, I hope they keep Monaco, Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Interlagos, Montreal, Suzuka, and the Nurburging, as well as bring back Indianapolis. These are all tracks that F1 needs to keep on their calender (even though they already cut Montreal and Indy).

Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
I'm definitely all for Spa, Monza, Nurinburg, Hokenhiem, Silverstone , Montreal, Suzuka and Interlagos but new circuits especially ones like Turkey prove new tracks can be instant classics plus AbuDhabi looks promising

Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
sorry, im a sucker for street races. F1 cars blasting through downtown Rome would be crazy, would also love to see London, HK and NYC. of course these are just dreams, but hey its the off season what else do i have!

Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyBahama
sorry, im a sucker for street races. F1 cars blasting through downtown Rome would be crazy, would also love to see London, HK and NYC. of course these are just dreams, but hey its the off season what else do i have!
I totally agree. Street races are some of the most amazing races in the series! If F1 stops racing at Monaco, I'll stop watching. Simple as that.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I totally agree. Street races are some of the most amazing races in the series! If F1 stops racing at Monaco, I'll stop watching. Simple as that.
Sure Monte Carlo has all the giltz and glam and all of that history but if you qualify in 1st place you really have to F up to not finish 1st so I don't like the predictability of it all

Old 01-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Montezemolo doubts Rome GP chances

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has largely dismissed the suggestion that Rome could stage a Formula 1 race – describing the idea as “unthinkable” unless it was strictly a one-off event.

The prospect of the historic Italian capital city joining the F1 calendar in future surfaced earlier this week when former Formula 2 driver and world superbike promoter Maurizio Flammini floated the idea that an event could be held on streets on the outskirts of the city.

F1’s street race quota was tripled last year following the arrival of new tracks in Valencia and Singapore, but the racing spectacle produced by both venues was panned by di Montezemolo who labelled the latter night race a “circus”.

Italy currently hosts one grand prix per season at Monza and di Montezemolo says that with the country boasting so many other purpose-built circuits it would be illogical to build yet another one if a second race was offered.

“A new grand prix [venue] in Italy is absolutely unthinkable, given that we have so many underused circuits,” he was quoted as saying by Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

“Italy is one of the countries in the world that has the largest number of circuits: an extraordinary one in Mugello, a historic one in Monza, and also Imola, Misano, Vallelunga.”

The Ferrari president added that the only way discussions could even begin on a potential Rome GP was if it was made clear the race would purely take place on streets.

“If there was a spot, a one-off opportunity for Rome, but not a permanent circuit, then we could talk about it,” he said.

The sport will welcome another new street venue in November when Abu Dhabi’s new part street, part purpose built, circuit plays host to the season finale on Yas Marina Island.

Last year’s maiden European GP at Valencia brought Spain’s race quota up to a unique two, with Italy and Germany’s previously privileged status of hosting two races a season ended in 2007.

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
F1 has really outgrown street circuits IMO. Other than Monaco which has it's history I don't really care to see those things dancing around unnecessarily tiny streets with no runoff.

Maybe I'm just biased since I worked the debacle of an LMS race in New Orleans. Broken halfshafts everywhere

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Dynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond repute
I'm still angry over the Montreal removal. We also need another US GP, I would love to see a Vegas night race...imagine them ripping down the blvd. with all the buildings lit up!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
^^^now thats an idea..omg could you imagine

Quick Reply: Monza unhappy with Rome Grand Prix talks