Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Kubica concerned by new front wings

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Kubica concerned by new front wings

Robert Kubica has voiced fears that the wide 2009-style front wings could trigger more accidents during wheel-to-wheel combat.

The introduction of wider and lower front wings is one of the most striking changes on the new-look Formula 1 cars, with the wings’ end plates now extending beyond the edge of the two front tyres.

Some drivers have already predicted that the bulkier wings are likely to get damaged during close racing at the start of grands prix – a view BMW ace Kubica subscribes to.

But the Pole has also warned that further problems could arise in other passing situations if the overtaking driver tries to regain his line too soon, potentially clipping the edge of the other driver’s wing which could then dislodge and get jammed under their car.

And with past examples, including his own horrific shunt into a concrete barrier in Montreal in 2007, showing the potential consequences of a dislodged wing, Kubica is concerned by the advent of even bigger front sections.

“A bigger problem [for this year] is that the front wings are much wider,” Kubica said at the launch of the new BMW F1.09.

“Looking at my crash in Canada [in 2007] and the crash from Spa with [Luciano] Burti [in 2001], both occasions we were touched by another car and the front wing went under the car and we had no control any more.

“So with this huge front wing, wider than the tyres, we have to be careful not only in the first corner but especially when you think you have overtaken the guy and you close the line.

“Now you can easily take off his wing and then as this wing is quite huge it will go under the car and I’m expecting [more problems]…I hope not but we really have to watch out.”

Kubica believes the issue is likely to come to light early on in the season as drivers take time to readjust their reference points under braking.

“I think all drivers would agree that always we were looking for ourselves, but especially for the beginning of the season it will be very, very difficult because you were used to one thing,” he said.

“You didn’t see your front wing so you knew more or less where are your references and in many, many races – especially lap one or under first braking – I thought I would hit someone as I was so deep on the braking and I just managed to touch him.

“Now with this huge front wing it will be much more difficult.”

BMW team-mate Nick Heidfeld was one of the first drivers to flag up the potential increase in wing damage last year, but speaking at the launch he said he felt it wouldn’t take long for drivers to get used to the change.

“Well first of all it doesn’t look beautiful!” he said of the new wings.

“I think we will get used to it very quickly.

“The problem with the front wing is that inside the car you don’t see it and if you have been in Formula 1 for a couple of years you did get used to the old wings and know exactly where you were positioned to your front wing.

“So I can imagine in situations where you have to react very quickly without a lot of thinking when the cars are close together like on the start situation, we might see a few more touches.

“But it is hard to predict.”

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen responded to Heidfeld’s comments by saying that the team was already “prepared to build more front wings than in the years’ before”.

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I definitely agree with the drivers that the new wings will most likely cause more accidents. More accidents mean a greater expense to the teams in terms of spare parts used during the races. I can understand their concerns, but as a fan, more accidents and damage make the racing more exciting! Hopefully the rules will change for the better next season.