Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

McLaren Thought It Was All Over - So Did I!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
McLaren Thought It Was All Over - So Did I!

I think that the article below is the best article yet on Hamilton's WDC win. You can feel the raw emotion when Whitmarsh talks about that final lap. He thought Lewis had lost it.

Frankly, I thought it was over too. In fact, if you go back and look at the Live Banter thread, you will see this at post #442.

Originally Posted by Barrister
Its over.
When Vettel passed him, I lost all hope. I couldn't believe it when he passed Glock and pulled it off. I am still in shock.

We celebrated all day yesterday!

I really admire Massa. He is a great driver and a good person. No sour grapes or complaining from him. I will never forget when he said "I know how to win, and I know how to lose." That's a real man right there.

From Autosport.com.

McLaren feared Hamilton title was lost

By Jonathan Noble Monday, November 3rd 2008, 14:04 GMT

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh has confessed that he feared the team had blown their world championship chances in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Lewis Hamilton only needed to finish fifth to guarantee himself the title, but started the final lap in sixth spot - and with little apparent chance of overtaking Sebastian Vettel just ahead of him.

However, a downpour hindered the progress of Toyota's Timo Glock on the final lap, as the German was running on dry tyres, and allowed Hamilton to snatch the position he needed just two corners from home.

Although the team were confident that Hamilton would be able to catch Glock on that final lap, Whitmarsh has admitted there was a brief period of time when he thought it was too late.

"Well, you worry – and you never doubt the quality of Lewis," he said. "But certainly, despite all the predictions and the analysis, I wondered whether the prediction that we would catch Glock would come about.

"We were saying: 'Vettel is in front, don't take risks but Glock is on dry tyres and you should catch him this lap'. But then you start to think, is this really going to happen?"

He added: "We were looking at a GPS prediction, and we believed we could catch Glock, but I looked up at the screen as we crossed the line and I could not see him. Then I looked back at the screen.

"We knew he was on the wrong tyre for the conditions. We knew he was losing temperature, and we expected him to come back quickly to us. It is all science, all maths, all prediction, and you like to believe it. But then you start to wonder – have you got it right or has this gone horribly wrong for us?

"Fortunately it came well and Lewis kept his head. He drove a terrific race for a piece of history made today.

"To say it was textbook makes it sound pretty unemotional, because it was pretty damn tense through the whole team I can tell you."

Last edited by Barrister; 11-03-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
That was an amazing race, to say the least.

I too was doubtful about Hamilton winning after that pass from Vettel. But I was also wondering why he never tried to pass Vettel afterward. As it turns out, they were aiming to pass Glock instead.

Massa's demeanor after the race was also impressive.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
KENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond reputeKENT has a reputation beyond repute
It was an amazing race

Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Massa was in shock...

Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
He had it and must have been going through some crazy emotions on the cool down lap.

The roar from the crowd was the loudest I have heard at an F1 race, $hit, any race for that matter.

Originally Posted by lager99
I think Massa was in shock...

Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex
He had it and must have been going through some crazy emotions on the cool down lap.

The roar from the crowd was the loudest I have heard at an F1 race, $hit, any race for that matter.
Wonder if he is still hammered or still hung over?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
$hit, I would still be drinking.

Originally Posted by lager99
Wonder if he is still hammered or still hung over?

Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alex
$hit, I would still be drinking.
I'd still be with Nicole . . .

Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
I'd still be with Nicole . . .
Somehow, I can't see that happen..

.j/k! Great race, Lets get some "fantasy-league"-thing set up for next year!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by strebo
Somehow, I can't see that happen..
Hey, come on now. I'm quite a catch!

Look at that double-chin, round mid-section and cool Lewis Hamilton cap (gifted to me by Anthony Hamilton himself)!

Plus, I can fix her sink or toilet and defend her pro bono when she gets that inevitable DUI.

She couldn't resist me!

And check this out - an ACTION shot!

The sunglasses, helmet and gloves in hand. And check out the glamour of the California Speedway in the distance!

What more could she want?

Oh yeah, her BF is the FORUMLA 1 WORLD DRIVER CHAMPION!!!!

And a bit more handsome than I.

Maybe not . . .

Last edited by Barrister; 11-04-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply: McLaren Thought It Was All Over - So Did I!