Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

My Review of the Race Logic Driftbox with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
My Review of the Race Logic Driftbox with Pics

Now that I have had my Driftbox for a little over a month now, I feel competant to write a review of it. I have only scratched the surface of what the unit is capable of. But the information below may be helpful to those considering purchasing one.

With DJ's permission, I will also be posting this in the Pit Stop area of the forum. It is my favorite part of the forum. It is informative, humorous and I am usually in there all by myself (well, me and Alex).

And before the jokes start - NO, you cannot borrow it.

Product: Driftbox
Made By: Race Logic
Purchased On: August 25, 2008
Price Paid: $750 plus $18.00 for 3-day shipping via UPS
Purchased From: VBOX USA PerformanceBox and DriftBox from VBOX USA.

Background: I have always wanted to test my cars to find out if the claimed performance numbers were accurate. There is so much speculation that goes on as to what a car can actually do 0-60 mph, around a given track or on a 1/4 mile run. So I started looking at various telemetry systems and data logging setups. For the most part, these were all too complicated and involved for my purposes. I just wanted a simple unit that indcated and recorded enough of the key information to keep a "weekend warrior" satisfied. For example, I wanted to get my 0-60 times, measure the horsepower (both crank and wheel) and log my times around the track. I was introduced to the Driftbox by a fellow car enthusiast and avid "street racer" (Robert P) who used it on a couple of our car runs. I checked into it and found that the Driftbox claimed to do all of the things I wanted and more at a reasonable price. Thus, on August 25, 2008 I purchased a Driftbox directly from Race Logic's U.S. distributor VBOX USA. Let's see if it lives up to what it promises.

If you are unfamiliar with what a Driftbox is, then this review won't mean much to you. Click on the link below to learn what a Driftbox is and what it is intended to do.

DriftBox from VBOX USA

Also, this is the mid-range unit in the Race Logic product line. There are two other units. The "Performance Box" does everything that the Driftbox does but does not show your car's drift angle. It also comes with a less sophisticated software tool ("Performance Tools") for analyzing your race data. It costs less than a Driftbox, however, coming in at $499. I never intend on using the drift functionality. But I wanted to have it to maximize resale if I ever decided to get rid of the unit on eBay. Next, the "VBOX Mini" is Race Logic's best unit and costs a whopping $1,800. The only difference between the Mini and the Driftbox is the software. The units themselves are identical. The Driftbox uses "Driftbox Tools" and the Mini uses "VBOX Tools" software. To learn more about the differences between the units, follow this link:

Comparison Chart

Like you may be right now, I was confused about the differences. So I called and spoke to Craig Wynant - VBOX Sales Manager - about what unit would be right for me. He was very helpful and honest and helped me determine that the Driftbox was best suited for my needs. So I broke out the credit card and decided to pull the trigger.

Purchase Experience: The Driftbox is sold to customers in the United States online by VBOX USA. This can be a bit confusing because - if you do a google search - you will come up with the UK site and they won't sell it to U.S. customers. You must go to the VBOX USA site. I am a pretty impatient person when it comes to buying toys. So instead of just ordering the Driftbox through VBOX USA's website, I initially tried to find a local dealer. I located a dealer in my area listed on the VBOX website. I called and left a message but my call was never returned. A few days later I just bit the bullet and purchased it online. The cost was $750.00 plus shipping. Pretty steep. But if you look into other systems with similar functionality, you will find that this is quite inexpensive given what it claims to deliver. I paid $18.00 for 3-day Select shipping via UPS. The item was shipped out the same day I ordered it and arrived on time and in perfect condition. Overall, my buying experience through the VBOX USA website was a perfect transaction.

Hands On Review: Now lets get down to it and test this puppy out.

Here is the box that the Driftbox came in. Pretty nice package altogether. I would have preferred a Porsche or Ferrari on the front but you can't have it all right?

Here is a picture of the open box with the contents inside. The unit is well-packaged to withstand shipping to almost anywhere. Mine didn't have a scratch on it.

Here is what came in the box:

1. The Driftbox unit.
2. Windshield mount with 3 large suction cups.
3. Car and AC adapter.
4. 512 MB SD Card.
5. USB 2.0 Cable.
6. Instructions
7. Software.
8. Sticker (aka worthless invitation to give Race Logic free advertising)

I was very impressed that the unit came with a 6' USB 2.0 cable and an SD card. I do a lot of legal work for HP and they don't even include that type of stuff - they nickle and dime you for it (you didn't hear that from me). I was disappointed, however, that the SD card was only 512 MB. I purchased a 4 GB SD card for my digital frame the other day for $20. But for the kind of data the unit logs - almost entirely data in the KB range - it is enough. It could fill up over time, however, requiring you to download and save or delete some of the data. Of course, the software that comes in the box is not the most recent version. You will need to visit the VBOX USA site where you purchased the unit to get the most recent version. The software is very comprehensive but the interface is old fashioned and clunky (more on that below). You do get a nice User Manual that is clearly written and covers most of the key topics. And you get a free sticker. What more could you ask for as a bonus than the opportunity to give Race Logic free advertising - what a waste of space.

Here is what the unit looks like once the windshield mount is slid onto the unit.

It is very simple to assemble - it just glides on and locks. Then, if you want to take it off of the winshield mount but leave the mount in your car, you just pull it gently and it releases from the mount. The mount also has two side adjusters so that you can get the "YAW" correct for recording your drift angle. I do not plan to use the drift feature so I have not yet fiddled with this adjustment. But it looks simple. The buttons are nice and large and have a soft feel. The screen is a bit small though making the data hard to read during runs (more on that below). Also, it is made of a pretty light-weight plastic that gives it kind of a "cheap" feel. But I think that is just purely aesthetic. Once you get the unit in your hands, it feels strong and sturdy. Overall, it is very well designed and built.

Here is a view of the Driftbox from the rear. I would say "nice ass" but it really isn't. Unless you are Jox, you probably don't find suction cups all that sexy. But it is functional.

As you can see, the suction cups are very large and mount the unit solid as a rock. Make sure that you position them so that you can access the small tab that releases them. If these are placed so that you cannot reach them once the unit is mounted, it is very hard to release the suction. Turn the suction cups so that the tabs face away from the unit so that you can reach them once you mount it. The suction cup in the upper right pictured above would be nearly impossible to release after putting it on the windshield. You would damn near need a crowbar - the suction is that strong. Why am I thinking dirty thoughts right now?

Here are the connections on the rear of the unit.

Here you have a USB connector, an AUX connector (used if you have other VBOX products that work in tandem with the Driftbox), POWER and GPS (used if you opt to purchase the optional external antenna - I get fine satellite reception without it so I did not purchase it).

*IMPORTANT! The first thing you MUST do when you get the unit out of the box is update the firmware. This adds important features that you will not get out-of-the-box without updating. This requires you to go to the VBOX website where you purchased the unit and download the firmware installer and latest firmware. As any of you who have worked with firmware before know all too well, this is never as easy as it sounds. This is especially so if you have Windows Vista. The instruction booklet does not cover the proper firmware update process for vista. This really frustrated me. I finally found the answer on the VBOX USA forum. I eventually got it figured out and got the latest firmware installed. Here is a link to the forum thread that solved my problem.

http://www.driftbox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399

The software itself is pretty straight forward but has a bit of a "Windows 3.1" feel to it. In other words, it could use an updated interface. But it gets the job done. I have not even scratched the surface yet during the month I have had it. The different types of data, reports and information it can produce seem endless. It can be overwhelming at first. Yet, after working with it for a while, you get the hang of it. Then it can become your best friend - especially at the track (more on that below).

Last edited by Barrister; 09-30-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The next step is to mount the Driftbox in your car. Note, the car is sold separately.

I chose to mount it on the passenger side of the chrono clock. I did this so that the car adapter wire does not drape over my nav screen. I plug it in to the cig lighter in the center console because you need to unplug it each time you stop the car or it will drain your battery - kind of like how you must turn off your V1 each time you get out of the car. I wish the unit had a sensor in it to tell when power has been cut and then turn off automatically (my Garmin GPS I bought for our family van does that). I keep it down low so that it has an unobstructed view of the sky. I find the data on the screen kind of small and hard to read while driving. Good thing it logs it all to the SD card so you can see it later. At the very least, slow down before you start checking your 0-60 times. As an attorney, I can see this becoming a serious liability issue.

Here is a view from the passenger seat. Sorry, I left my garage open for this shot.

In order to see the data on the screen better, I tried to mount the unit just above the steering wheel. This worked and the data was very easy to read from this position - directly in front of my face. But the power cord draped down over my nav screen and even interfered with my gear shifter. So I went back to the passenger side install.

Here is what the unit looks like from outside of my car.

It looks a lot like a very elaborate radar detector or something else illegal. I am sure that some cop is going to stop me some day and try to confiscate it. As with my AK-47 "from my cold dead hand."

Just a close up of the prior picture.

This is the initial boot screen that you see when the unit turns on.

It also tells you the serial number of the unit which you will need to activate all of its features. This is a cumbersome process done from the VBOX USA website but is covered well by the instructions.

This is the screen that appears once the unit syncs up with the satellites. It shows MPH, 0-60, 0-100, 0-100-0, and Vmax (like I even know what that is).

Of course, there are countless other screens that you can bring up with the buttons that access the rest of the unit's features. Best of all, if the unit doesn't come with the data you want to record pre-loaded, you can customize it to record almost anything. For example, I like to see how fast I can go from 40-70. That measurement is not pre-loaded. But I was able to customize the unit to record it. I was hitting it in 1.3 seconds by the way.

My personal favorite screen is the "Best" screen that shows your top speed, best 0-60, 0-100, etc. It also shows the max G-Force that you encountered during your runs.

Here is a picture of me actually using the Driftbox on the track at the California Speedway in Fontana on September 20, 2008.

I know, I know - I went waaaay overboard with the painter's tape. Blame it on Moe Mistry for making my car look so great just before I hit the track.

It worked great! It logged all of my track data for all 4 runs, showed where I improved and where I lost time, and even contacted Ron Dennis for me regarding a contract with McLaren. Ok, that last part isn't true. But the rest is.

Also, I recently saw an article in EVO magazine that said Ferrari has started to use the Driftbox to log data on the Fiorano test track. Pretty nice endorsement there.

I have had the Driftbox for about a month now and it has not left my car. It is a really fun gadget that will get you hooked. You are always trying to trim a tenth of a second off of the different timing options and it just looks cool. And on the track it is an absolute must-have item. Hell, just having it in the car made me a few tenths faster!

Here is a summary:

Pros:

1. Great service from VBOX USA - shipped it quickly and in perfect condition.
2. Pretty intuitive to use.
3. Nearly endless customization options.
4. Looks cool in the car - nice conversation starter.
5. Logs data to an SD card.
6. Software is very comprehensive.
7. Well-designed and built.
8. Screen is illuminated and clear.
9. Does what it is supposed to do (an all too rare occurance in today's marketplace).
10. Addicting.

Cons:

1. Price - $750 isn't cheap but is reasonable given comparable products.
2. Firmware update was a nightmare.
3. Screen is a little small and hard to see while running.
4. Software can feel overwhelming at first to novices and has an old-fashioned and clunky interface.
5. Comes with a skimpy 512 MB SD card.
6. Cops think it is an elaborate radar jammer and you may endure several instances of false arrest.
7. Releasing the suction cups is tough if the release tabs are not placed properly.
8. Comes with main features disabled until online registration is completed. The registration process is cumbersome and takes time away from driving.
10. What the hell is "VMAX"?

For anyone who likes driving - and I assume that is anyone who has read to the end of this review - and wants to know how their car really performs, I highly recommend the Driftbox. I was a little put off by the price initially. But after comparing similar systems that cost 3x as much, it stopped bothering me. I have only hit the tip of the iceburg in terms of what this unit is capable of. I intend to spend many hours with it in order to get the most out of it. Now if it could just help me get out of all those tickets!

This review is also posted on my personal website at Downforce Media under "Product Reviews". Don't worry, it is just a site I have for fun and personal use - not trying to make any money off of it. I have a day job protecting the world from illegal music downloads. Yes, it was me that sent you that nasty letter.

If anyone has any questions about my experience with the Driftbox or just want to say hello, feel free to email me at downforcemedia@cox.net.

Last edited by Barrister; 09-30-2008 at 11:52 PM.