Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Hamilton Unfazed by Ferrari's Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008 | 12:25 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton Unfazed by Ferrari's Speed

Ferrari is so fast - it makes one curious as to what they are doing to suddenly squeeze that much performance out of the F2008. If you like Lewis, pray for rain!

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Friday, September 5th 2008, 16:00 GMT

Lewis Hamilton is unconcerned about Ferrari's top speed advantage at the Spa circuit and reckons the Italian squad and McLaren will be equally strong in Belgium.

Ferrari's Felipe Massa posted the fastest time of the day on Friday, finishing nearly six tenths of a second ahead of Hamilton in the morning session.

The Brazilian, six points behind Hamilton in the standings, was also quicker than his McLaren rival in the afternoon.

But Hamilton made it clear after the sessions that he did not think Ferrari were ahead of McLaren.

"We're still going for the win. We're just as competitive as them. We're pretty much equal with them," Hamilton told reporters after practice.

"For sure, they have a bit more speed at the end of the straight, but it's only by a couple of km/h, not five or eight. I don't think it will make any difference."

The championship leader said he felt McLaren were a lot more competitive than last year, when Ferrari dominated the race.

"Today it was raining in some parts more than others and that made it a little bit tricky. But I feel very happy with the balance and the package we have this weekend.

"It's definitely a lot more competitive than we were here last year. We just have to keep pushing hard to get out in front."

Hamilton said he did not care if qualifying or the race are wet, although he did confess he would prefer the challenge of running at full speed in the dry.

"We were strong in Monaco and Silverstone, but I don't mind," he said. "It would be nice if it is dry. It's a great challenge in the dry, but in the wet it will be so tricky for everyone as the GP2 guys have found out."

He continued: "It's like night and day. There's a huge difference. When it's dry you can push, use the curves and every bit of the grass, but in the wet you have no grip.

"And if you touch a white line or a kerb then you are going to crash. It's very tricky just to know where the puddles are, you can have aqua-planing.

"The second you step out of the braking zone and you are a fraction late, then you will go straight
."

Last edited by Barrister; 09-06-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2008 | 10:32 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
********SPOILER**************

Stop reading or skip my post unless you want to know today's results.

Lewis was un-freaking-believable. Totally deserved the result. I haven't seen a more entertaining race in the last 5 laps in a long time!!!!

Old 09-07-2008 | 10:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
The tifosi in me is coming out strong.

Lewis got an unfair advantage out of the chicane. Had he not been able to keep his momentum out of the bus stop, he would have not been able to get in Kimi's tow.

Old 09-07-2008 | 12:53 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I am a big Raikkonen fan, but Lewis deserved the win.

Old 09-07-2008 | 01:20 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say he played it perfectly. Gave up just enough to Kimi to tuck right under him for the tow to the braking zone. Simply brilliant. Must be the tifosi in you.

Originally Posted by ajs887
The tifosi in me is coming out strong.

Lewis got an unfair advantage out of the chicane. Had he not been able to keep his momentum out of the bus stop, he would have not been able to get in Kimi's tow.

Old 09-07-2008 | 08:36 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Old 09-07-2008 | 10:32 PM
Watch this space.
Alex, that's complete BS. He did gain an advantage, but he immediately ceded it back to Kimi. It was obvious.

I am 100% certain Ron Dennis will appeal and win. That's a disgrace if it holds up. Hell, Massa felt lucky taking 2nd!

Old 09-07-2008 | 11:05 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
J_Edwards is an unknown quantity at this point
It is ridiculous that they can assume a 25 second advantage over that, moving him from first to third.

The rule states that if you have to cut out any part of the track and gain any positions, that you must then give that position back. Lewis did that to the letter, yet they penalized him anyway for it. He didn't keep the position that he gained, and you can't estimate what advantage that he gained after that.

I really think that Ron Dennis will challenge this and win, the stewards got this one wrong.

Old 09-07-2008 | 11:08 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I am speechless guys. Let's move our discussion to this thread so we have a single place to express our disfavor (or otherwise for the hard-core tifosi).

https://teamspeed.com/forums/pit-sto...tml#post134533