Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

How does this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:02 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
How does this happen?

First of all, I'm totally clueless when it comes to photography, I just got into it. I've a D80, and I'm banging my way through attempting to try and figure out how to work it.

I was taking some shots as a favor for a band that I used to manage. The next morning, after going through the shots, I noticed this.

In this shot, you can only see the drummer, and one member on the other end of the stage; but the other two band members are in the shot too, but nowhere to be seen. The odd thing is that they were right in front of the camera.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
vpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond reputevpr1019 has a reputation beyond repute
Do they have superpowers?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ag Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond reputeAg Surfer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
First of all, I'm totally clueless when it comes to photography, I just got into it. I've a D80, and I'm banging my way through attempting to try and figure out how to work it.

I was taking some shots as a favor for a band that I used to manage. The next morning, after going through the shots, I noticed this.

In this shot, you can only see the drummer, and one member on the other end of the stage; but the other two band members are in the shot too, but nowhere to be seen. The odd thing is that they were right in front of the camera.
The other members were moving while the drummer was stationary. With the low light and long exposure, the other members did not reflect enough light into the lens becuase they were moving.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
You make it sound so perfectly reasonable! Funny to think it was something so simplistic.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Ninjas, man.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 AM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute

I can only imagine the insanely hysterical moment when you hand over the pics you were snapping of them as a favor, and they aren't in there. Sounds like something I could do!!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Teamspeed Member
NFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these partsNFRs2000NYC is infamous around these parts
Here is the exposure info for the photo you posted.....

Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/25 second = 1/2.5 second = 0.4 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 45/10 = F4.5
* Exposure Program = n/a (0)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 400
* Exif Version = 0221
* Original Date/Time = 2008:06:26 14:45:16
* Digitization Date/Time = 2008:06:26 14:45:16
* Components Configuration = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
* Compressed Bits per Pixel = 4/1 = 4
* Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/6 = 0
* Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 36/10 = 3.6
Max Aperture = F3.48
* Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
* Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 180/10 mm = 18 mm
* Last Modified Subsecond Time = 20;N
* Original Subsecond Time = 20
* Digitized Subsecond Time = 20

The parts in bold are your problem....

The shutter speed is too slow. A moving band member will "ghost" his way out of the photo at that speed. 1/100 is the slowest you can get away with, and ONLY if you drag the shutter (use the flash to expose the band, and then keep the shutter open for a little bit for the ambient light.)

ISO is low for that dim lighting, needs to be in the 800 range.

Finally, the lens you are using needs to be AT LEAST an F2.8 to be able to shoot properly in that sort of light. Those lenses, as you may guess, don't come cheap. To get quality shots in that sort of environment, you are talking about serious skill/proper equipment. Hope that helped, let me know if you need something else explained to you.

_-Dave

Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Just to give you some ideas, there are uses for the ghosting when you want to get creative (and the 'feel' of the shot invites it):

Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 AM
TeH Ears
NFR, thank you!!!! That is great info and will go a long way to finding out what the learning curve is, not just how much I have to learn.

Blue, those shots are awesome, and precisely what I'd like to get to be able to do.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
PorscheDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Bluestrike2
Just to give you some ideas, there are uses for the ghosting when you want to get creative (and the 'feel' of the shot invites it):

Wow amazing shots!! What camera is that and what lens?

Quick Reply: How does this happen?