Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Engagment photos... a bit nervous.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Engagment photos... a bit nervous.

So I've been taking portraits and event photos strictly for family, close friends, and myself and it's been great because there's really no pressure. I've also told them they can tell friends that I'd take pictures for them, but I didn't really expect anyone would. Well, apparently a few of them are and I have to go meet with a girl and her fiance tomorrow to set up an engagement photo shoot...

I'm pretty excited about it, and the girl knows I'm not a pro, so it's not really a major obligation or pressure. But of course I don't want to waste their time or mine. This is kind of the first thing I've done for someone I don't know personally. And it's a good chance for me to get some practice.

I'm posting this thread to get some ideas of things I should or shouldn't do or think about. There are some amazing photographers on here, and I'd love to pick your brains. There are tons of perfect locations around DC, but it sounds like she doesn't really have a concrete idea of what she wants. I'm confident I'll be able to take pictures that I like, but I'm very green at taking photos for someone.

Here are a few of the shots I've done for family and friends, I'd love some critique and genuine feedback, as well as maybe some thoughts on doing this kind of thing. Thanks in advance.

4. (for Chris from Cali)

Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Bo means business
Bonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond repute
Ur
Pix r awesome u have nothing to worry about

Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Bo. Those are all close friends or family, and they're not allowed to complain! (except my brother in #2 thinks he looks like a homeless guy...)

But my biggest worry is that the bride-to-be really doesn't have a great idea of what she even wants. I'm scouring the internet for ideas, but I figured some of the great artists on here have some experience with this type of thing.

Last edited by Pure Evo; 06-02-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
Have you asked here to browse flickr to maybe show you something towards what she likes? or browse your photos to see if she likes what you already do? Like Bo said, you do great work and have nothing to worry about if you stick with that. If the client doesn't tell you what to do, do what you do best.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I asked her to look around online a bit. Then we can see the general looks she likes and start from there, but still make it highly personal to them. I want to avoid cheesy at all costs, but I know there are certain shots that are musts. Like the hands with the rings, etc.

My motto will be "fake it 'til you make it"!

I know this is kind of a waste thread, but I wanted to talk it out with my online pals!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Steve. We love the pics you took - I need to get a DVD of all them at some point!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 AM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
I always enjoy your photos, I think you have a great eye. Just tell them not to take it too seriously and have fun with it. Casual and relaxed better than posed, imo.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ogaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond repute
Casual is always better in my opinion.

But girls tend to be so picky with these things. I would make sure the typical moments are portrayed from every angle.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
You're right, your not a pro.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Oh yeah? Then how do you explain my user title???!?!

Quick Reply: Engagment photos... a bit nervous.