Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Should I bother trying to shoot the launch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Should I bother trying to shoot the launch?

Hi guys,

As you may have seen in the other thread, Gobbles Jr. and I are heading down to FL to see the Shuttle launch. Our tickets put us in a viewing area that is 6 miles (not a typo) from the launch pad, direct line of sight.

So the question is --- 6 miles. Do I bother hauling gear with me to shoot this? We have to hand carry everything in (folding chairs, can take a backpack, but no coolers or large luggage items) so I'm debating on the hassle.

I have access to quality gear. I can walk 5 feet from my desk and put my hands on a Nikon D3X or an EOS 5D MkII. Glass all the way up to 600mm like this:

That lens comes in a case that may as well be luggage, which isn't allowed. So I'm torn on whether I bother trying to repackage it all and carry it (then not damage it, let it get stolen, etc.) or just stick to smaller stuff.

Atmospheric interference at ground level between us and the launch pad will be the major issue but once it's in the air do you think I'd be able to pull off some decent shots?

Thoughts?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Damn. I figured the various photogs on here would weigh in. I need to decide in the next couple of hours so I can take the gear home and pack.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
If you have to ask... then probably not.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:40 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
maybe i'm wrong, but i always thought the point of having a son was so you don't have to do shit like this anymore. make him carry that shit... that's what my pops woulda told me for sure.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
This really is once in a lifetime.

I'd do it, just for the memories.

"Losers do their best, winner go home and **** the prom queen."

Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Craigger
This really is once in a lifetime.

I'd do it, just for the memories.

"Losers do their best, winner go home and **** the prom queen."
This is the correct answer.

Yeah it's going to be a pain in the ass. But if you have access to $10k + in gear you should take advantage of it because this event may never happen again.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
I say if there is a way you can, go for it. You have access to the gear and you won't have a chance again. Whenever I'm in a dilemma to bring gear (nothing near a 600mm lens) I always err to bring it. If you don't use it, whatever, but if you go and don't have it you'll regret it.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
RDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond reputeRDuke has a reputation beyond repute
If you know how to handle the equipment then I say go for it.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Full of Win.
I guess what I should have been more specific about was whether even if I haul of this stuff in whether the laws of physics would still allow for good photos. Six miles is six miles, and this gear will only reach so far. I've taken photos of plenty of things at distance, just never this far out so I don't have any first hand knowledge.

I definitely am on board with the idea that its a once in a lifetime opportunity to be taken advantage of.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Gobbles
I guess what I should have been more specific about was whether even if I haul of this stuff in whether the laws of physics would still allow for good photos. Six miles is six miles, and this gear will only reach so far. I've taken photos of plenty of things at distance, just never this far out so I don't have any first hand knowledge.

I definitely am on board with the idea that its a once in a lifetime opportunity to be taken advantage of.
People got great shots of the lunar eclipse with normal-long telephotos so you should be fine I would think.

Quick Reply: Should I bother trying to shoot the launch?