Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Canon 50MM f1.8 or Lightroom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Canon 50MM f1.8 or Lightroom?

With the new baby here i've started taking more photos. Yesterday I took a great photo class with a local portrait photographer here (gotta love groupon, best $25 i've spent in a LONG time).

Well, she mentioned how she does the MAJORITY of her portraits with a 50mm. I noticed that canon has a great 50MM f1.8 that can be had for around $120 (it's a cheap plastic lens, but every review says it's basically the bargain of a lifetime).

My biggest problem has always been post editing; I use to have a copy of photoshop and it just was way to confusing for me. I've recently been using picasa for quick simple changes. The instructor used lightroom and i've read good reviews. Amazon has the student/teacher version for $80 and I was thinking about it.

I can't really swing both.

Oh, and my brother gave me his 20D! He had it sitting in the closet collecting dust so I've recently replaced my Rebel XT with the 20D.

One thing, i've been holdling on to the XT just in case something happened to the 20D. Now i'm thinking i'm just hording; should I sell it? Any potential problems I could realistically run into with the 20D? My brother used it quite a bit, and I generally hate used things because you never know how it was treated.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
I currently shoot with Canon 17-85MM f/4-5.6 IS which i've had for a few years

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Tyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond reputeTyler has a reputation beyond repute
In my opinion, go with the lens, as lightroom "could" be acquired via other means. Plus, it's nice having a lens that quick.
-Tyler

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
50MM f1.8 that can be had for around $120 (it's a cheap plastic lens, but every review says it's basically the bargain of a lifetime).
Be careful about this lens. I seem to remember when my wife was looking for her 50MM lens that she looked at this one as well. She did some review researching about it, and there were several complaints that it would get stuck on the camera. Several people had to send their cameras back to Canon to get it removed. She ended going with a more expensive lens that was not plastic. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that is what she found out.

This is the lens that she ended up going with, and she has nothing but great things to say about it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Autofocus.html

P.S. My wife also found the full blown version of PS too complex, and she uses PS Elements for all of her editing.

Last edited by ambleZ06; 03-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
I would go for lens over software...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
One thing, i've been holdling on to the XT just in case something happened to the 20D. Now i'm thinking i'm just hording; should I sell it? Any potential problems I could realistically run into with the 20D? My brother used it quite a bit, and I generally hate used things because you never know how it was treated.
Buy lens, produre Lightroom (*COUGH*torrent*COUGH*) and don't get rid of the Rebel because the 20D shutter will fail eventually.

I can't remember if you can check the total pictures/shutter actuations on the 20D. But shutters fail, it costs +/- 150$ to have it replaced. I did that with the 10D a friend essentially gave me (shutter was busted, camera would take one picture and need to be reset), shutter replaced last summer, has been going strong since. It's an independent shop in Cali, NOT Canon who will charge you 200$ just to take a look at it. I can dig up the info tonight if you'd like.
Besides, it's nice to have a lens per body. You look like a pro.

Last edited by Zorro; 03-03-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
The nifty fifty is a great lens. I second what Zorro said, allegedly, in theory.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Redlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond reputeRedlined has a reputation beyond repute
The 1.4 is much better built.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
50 1.8 is probably the best bang for the buck lens in existence.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
lens

acquire lightroom in other ways and implement it into your workflow. Lightroom 3 is great.

Quick Reply: Canon 50MM f1.8 or Lightroom?