Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Leica M9

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Site Founder
MWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant futureMWilens has a brilliant future
Leica M9

So after shooting with a canon 30d for years I decided it was time for an upgrade. I have waited patiently for the 60d and when it came time to pull the trigger I was redirected to the 7D. Well the 7D has been out for awhile and I hate buying old technology. Any of the cameras really exceed my capabilities. Well. Fast forward to my frequent stops at B&H and Adorama and I ended up with the Leica bug. I know. Huge price difference and I could have just opted for the 5D Mark II with a series of lens. But the idea of walking down the streets of Europe and taking pictures in an old cobble street with a big Mark II really didn’t fair well in my imagination.

I spent the better part of last week shooting the Leica M9 and all I can say is wow. It reminds me of the defender/Toyota experience. I spent three days taking an off road course and the vehicles for choice were an old defender 90 and a Toyota Land Cruiser. The land Cruiser went through the mud and rocks with ease. On the other hand the Defender encompassed all my energy and concentration. Much more difficult but more rewarding. Well. This is the same for the Leica M9. If shooting is about the picture only then opt for the Nikon and/or Canon. The price difference is hard to swallow.

But if it’s about the experience then go find a leica dealer and have some fun. I used Ken Hansen 212879 3263 and it was the best buying experience I have had in a long time.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
Pics?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Ferrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond reputeFerrari FL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MWilens
So after shooting with a canon 30d for years I decided it was time for an upgrade. I have waited patiently for the 60d and when it came time to pull the trigger I was redirected to the 7D. Well the 7D has been out for awhile and I hate buying old technology. Any of the cameras really exceed my capabilities. Well. Fast forward to my frequent stops at B&H and Adorama and I ended up with the Leica bug. I know. Huge price difference and I could have just opted for the 5D Mark II with a series of lens. But the idea of walking down the streets of Europe and taking pictures in an old cobble street with a big Mark II really didn’t fair well in my imagination.

I spent the better part of last week shooting the Leica M9 and all I can say is wow. It reminds me of the defender/Toyota experience. I spent three days taking an off road course and the vehicles for choice were an old defender 90 and a Toyota Land Cruiser. The land Cruiser went through the mud and rocks with ease. On the other hand the Defender encompassed all my energy and concentration. Much more difficult but more rewarding. Well. This is the same for the Leica M9. If shooting is about the picture only then opt for the Nikon and/or Canon. The price difference is hard to swallow.

But if it’s about the experience then go find a leica dealer and have some fun. I used Ken Hansen 212879 3263 and it was the best buying experience I have had in a long time.
Great camera, def share your pics when you can!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
You must be a friend of Control It...

Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Pics or ban.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
so... looks like you're going to need to liquidate your Canon Lenses.

You know where to find me

Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the M9. I have one as well and it's a very different experience than an slr..its not an "either or", its both for different needs. But at the end of the day, 9 times out of 10, I reach for my M9 with 28mm 2.0 Leica lense.

I have several other cameras and also love the 5D 2...the new 1 series should be announced soon.

Group buy on Leica S2!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
I love my Leica they far exceed every aspect in quality and performance. I had a DLUX4 now VLUX20 (lighter and easier for me)

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
famoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to beholdfamoussas is a splendid one to behold
Awsome, I picked up a D Lux 5 last month, and although not a proper Leica still a neat bit of kit. Thankfully my Dad used to be in a decent job at Leica so hopefully I won't be paying the eye watering price.