Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Portrait help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Ricky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond reputeRicky s. Photography has a reputation beyond repute
Portrait help needed

Hey guys.

A friend of mine has contacted me asking to take pictures of her cast for a small video she's producing. I took the offer, but I have no experience with shooting people and portraits whatsoever. So, I thought I'd read up and get as much info. as possible before I have to do the shoot in January.

Extra info/questions....
I'll be doing the shoot with a Nikon D5000 DSLR camera.

The shoot will be at her house, I'll be shooting ~15 people.

I currently own/can borrow the following lenses, which two would be the best?
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 18-200mm
Nikkor 55-200mm
Nikkor 50mm

I also have a Nikon SB-400 external speedlight, and could probably get my hands on an SB-600 and reflectors for the shoot.

I don't know what the "mood" of the pictures should be yet.

I'd prefer tips for shooting over post-processing and editing, although anything is much appreciated!

Many thanks to everyone that can help

Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Teamspeed Cigarette Racer
Location: Blue Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Monterey and beyond
gociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud of
imo for your d5k, i would rent/borrow/buy the 17-55. Its a fast wonderful lens-no regrets.
If you go to a ff (d700, d3 etc), then the 24-70 or even the 17-35.
Enjoy

Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Cigarette Racer
Location: Blue Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Monterey and beyond
gociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud of
forgot to add this that you may already have
Shutterbug: How To Photograph Big Groups
also forums like nikon cafe are a great resource.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by gociggie31
imo for your d5k, i would rent/borrow/buy the 17-55. Its a fast wonderful lens-no regrets.
If you go to a ff (d700, d3 etc), then the 24-70 or even the 17-35.
Enjoy
Yes the 17-55 (which I have) is very very nice. However, for portraits I think the 50 is a little better suited for it. Crank the aperture wide open and go nuts. Don't be afraid to shoot while they are just interacting with each other.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure about flashes ... here's what happens when you fiddle with lights during a video shoot.

YouTube - Christian Bale Freaks Out on Set w/ SUBTITLES OF CREW in background

Stick to wide open apertures primes.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
Murph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really niceMurph5000 is just really nice
I have a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 which I used for shooting an XMas card for some of our friends. It's only $189 and a fantastic portrait lens. Here's a quick one I shot, unprocessed but done with the 35mm.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Murph5000; 12-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Use the nifty fifty with a wide aperture (f/2.0-2.8) and borrow the SB600 if you can. Point the flash head up towards the ceiling to bounce it so it won't be as harsh on the faces.

As for PP, it depends entirely on the mood and look that your friend is looking for based on theme of the video so ask her and edit accordingly.