Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Nikon D40 or D60 or D90 or D5000?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
Nikon D40 or D60 or D90 or D5000?

Hey guys,

I am new to the camera world, and am just wrapping my head around the amount of choice there is. I am looking for a SLR/DSLR under $500 used (Australian Dollars) I do not have the money at the moment but was just thinking. The ones I listed in the title all seem to be similar (From a begginers eye!) I have heard rave reviews about Nikon but also Canon.

Are there an good Canon's out there for beginners. I am only new to the world of different lenses as well and would of course like lenses to assist my with shooting. Can someone please tell me what exactly is the point of different lenses and how does the finished product differ from lens to lens? What is an ideal lens for shooting cars, and outdoor pictures? All beginner questions, because I am!

One more thing, Is it a good idea to get a used camera? Can things often go wrong with SLR's/DSLR's and used onees could be faulty?

Anyway, thanks for the help guys
B4rad

Old 05-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
No one as any help?!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Nav
Teamspeed Senior Member
Nav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond reputeNav has a reputation beyond repute
here is what most people will tell you. if money is an issue, always spend top dollar on the lens, and get a cheaper camera if you have to. you can always upgrade the camera (which you inevitable will want to do anyways), but the lens will last close to forever.

concerning used cameras. personally, i would not get one unless i knew the seller, or they were recommended to me. stay away from foreign (ebay sellers from overseas etc) because you will have problems if you need any warranty work (nikon for sure only deals with products purchased from authorized dealers, in your own country). Unfortunately, at a $500 price range, you will be limited with what you can get. used might be the way to go. (many people like the consumer entry level Canon Rebel line, you may want to look into those).

i cant suggest any specific lens (i dont know enough about them yet) for your type of shooting, but i got a nikon D90, with a 18-105mm lens, and as a beginner (for now), it suits my needs perfectly.

keep in mind that photography is an expensive hobby. dont forget to factor in the cost of memory cards, and also a flash (really hard to work without one) etc.

sorry for being so vague about things.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
I am a photographic imbecile with a D90. It is supposed to be a great camera but to be honest I need some tuition so, at the moment, it's a waste on me.

So my advice is, spend as much time and money on tuition and training as you can, so you can justify the camera you buy.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
D50... Good Camera with much better lenses available (for when you upgrade)

Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!ptphotography You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I bought a D3000 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a bunch of goodies from amazon for $537 shipped. Get one.

Flickr: ptromboni's Photostream

Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Blue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond reputeBlue4reF1 has a reputation beyond repute
I shoot with a D90, Great cam.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks for the help guys. Ptphotography your photos look awesome and getting one off amazon with a starter kit and lens seems a great option!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I have found this one on the net http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ind...mart&Itemid=50. It is only $525 with the 18-55mm lens and has heaps of accessories. It also has a lot of optional filters etc. Thanks for the help. I am pretty much sold on the D3000 (Thanks ptphotography) Now all I need to do is to save up another $200!

Last edited by B4rad; 05-21-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Just be aware that not all of those cameras work the same with all lenses. I mean, they all fit the body, but you lose autofocus functionality on < D90.

Also, read this thread: https://teamspeed.com/forums/photogr...-thoughts.html

Quick Reply: Nikon D40 or D60 or D90 or D5000?