Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Which Nikon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Which Nikon?

Hi guys,

I am going to buy a new camera soon. I want to switch over to Nikon as I have seen a couple friends with theirs and the quality of photos just seem to be on a whole other level.

Which camera would you recommend? I want a good camera, but it does not necessarily have to be top of the range. I think the most expensive one costs about just over $10,000 US for the body here.

Nikon | Imaging Products | Digital Cameras

Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
The one that comes with a Zonda Mike

Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Teamspeed Cigarette Racer
Location: Blue Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Monterey and beyond
gociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud of
What will your main shootin be?

-portraits?
-landscaping?
-architecture?
-distance/reach-wildlife?
-distance/reach-fast sports/action?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
If price is not a big issue please don’t look at anything other that a full frame

For all-purpose shooting I think you cannot go wrong with any of these… as you try to do more specific shooting you will need to invest in more specific lenses

If it has to be a Nikon then have a look at the D3x is the best out there but you can go for the D3 or the D700 which are essentially the same camera only more plastic and less metal in the construction

I am a Canon guy and love my 5Dmk2 the 1Dmk3 is a great Camera but to heavy for my use…

Check out this link full frame slr

Last edited by GrayTT; 12-16-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the feedback GrayTT. I currently have a Canon 30D, I love using it, but it's getting a bit old and the frames per second are a bit too slow.

It also produces too much noise when I turn up the ISO levels. The Nikon has much better final images even with the ISO way up.

I am thinking about that Nikon D3S - opinions?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
D3S is a great cam that I forgot about... (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09...d3shandson.asp)
Which Nikons are you compair'n pix with, which lenses are used?
The canon EF-S lenses are not the best when pushing the ISO

Which ever way you go, you will be happy... but much happy'r with a Canon in your bag

Last edited by GrayTT; 12-16-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
The D3S is an amazing camera that has really changed the camera game when it comes to high ISO. I've been drooling for one myself lately. The D700 is almost as good and a bit smaller/more discrete if that is something worth considering. You really can't go wrong with any full frame Nikon camera.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a D60 its reasonably priced, I broke the lens but its still going strong with a few scratches here and there.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Talking

Originally Posted by Alzilla
The D3S is an amazing camera that has really changed the camera game when it comes to high ISO. I've been drooling for one myself lately. The D700 is almost as good and a bit smaller/more discrete if that is something worth considering. You really can't go wrong with any full frame Canon camera.
Fixed it for you Alex

If it has to be a Nikon I would go with the D700 and get lenses with the difference... dono if I will ever need all the stuff in the D3S

Last edited by GrayTT; 12-16-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro

Quick Reply: Which Nikon?