Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Posting your pictures on Facebook ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Posting your pictures on Facebook ...

Ok, here's the deal ...

I started an MMA website with 2 friends. Keep in mind our "selling point" is that we're very visual, lots of pictures and videos, media we shoot ourselves.

To promote the site, one of them loves Facebook. Which is fine by me. Made a group, sent it to friends, friends' friends ... etc etc.

My gripe is that he LOOOOVES posting our website pictures on Facebook as well.

As a reminder, here are Facebook's ToU
When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content.
I went totally berserk on him when he posted exclusive pics before the article was posted on the site. I think he got that part.

Tried to explain my point of view ... but apparently without much success since he keeps posting the best pics on FB whenever he gets the chance.

Am I being too anal over copyright issues? Should I let it slide and let him post the pics on Facebook every time he gets the chance?

If not ... I could use pointers to help me convince him to stop posting our content on FB.

TIA

Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I can understand your frustration. Whenever somebody repeatedly does something I don't want them to do, I find that a 3-iron to the back of the knee does wonders. The harder you hit them, the more better they listen.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Zorro, if you can host your pictures and storys on FB you don't need a website. Tell your friend to post all the shit on FB and he's going to kill the website or just stop posting the pictures on FB and get the veiwers to your site.

That said, before everyone started using facebook I set up a homepage for me and my friends where we could organize "big events" without having to call everyone (we are ~25people when we all hang out together). So we started to post stories, pictures, movieclips and whatnot and found out that there were alot of viewers that we didn't even knew were looking and enjoying our shit. We all found that to be hilarious and got even more active to come up with shit and alot of crazy pictures from parties and so on.......anyhow, then all started to use facebook and everyone put their pictures up there instead. And now they all asked me what happened to "the old website". I've told them numerous times that facebook is a POS and that they killed the old website.

I'm not a member of facebook, as you might notice, and I never will. I would never expose my life to that content so that everyone can view it. I rarely listen to my mom but she told me one thing I do like; "Once it's on the internet It'll never go away".

(Some of it was rant, some of it was hopefully useful )

Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Wow I never took you for a MMA kinda guy. That's all.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
What do you really thing FB is going to do with your pics? They are already rich, I doubt your MMA pics will help.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
Wow I never took you for a MMA kinda guy. That's all.
Nor am I, really. I've never trained or even worked out in my life ... but I'm "the buddy who knows all about the intarwebs", and I love the photography, it's a new challenge. So I naturally became the geek of the trio.
I've kinda followed the UFC for the last year or so as it was a good excuse to all get together and drink/bbq, but I don't really know the guys, only the big names.
First time I attended an actual fight was in september ...

strebo, we only use Facebook because one of the three partners is a local MMA socialite/photographer and his 500 friends are pretty much all MMA guys and gals. It gave us a good headstart I would say. It's also a good way to keep in touch ... post a pic, people tag themselves on it, their friends know it ... etc etc.

I'm convinced FB doesn't give 2 sh!ts about our pics ... but I want to make sure we don't give up rights in the process ...

for the curious ones, the site is FightWorld.tv kicks you in the face