Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Some military photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Or just go work with them.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
I always loved to see this phenomenon.
At night, you could see static electricity in the blades of choppers as they got close to the ground. Very trippy.
Never seen that before, very cool!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
Never seen that before, very cool!
You should see and hear it firsthand. In addition to the sound of the helo, it sounds like the blades are going to shear off. Pretty exciting the first few times you experience it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoCal C4S
You should see and hear it firsthand. In addition to the sound of the helo, it sounds like the blades are going to shear off. Pretty exciting the first few times you experience it.
Does this only happen in desert environments? Because there's a marine corps base like 1.5 miles from my home where they often have a few Chinooks buzzing around so perhaps I could check it out at night.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Does this only happen in desert environments? Because there's a marine corps base like 1.5 miles from my home where they often have a few Chinooks buzzing around so perhaps I could check it out at night.
It's not necessarily deserts. It's just where there is a buildup of static in the air. It's even wilder to see when you're riding inside.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Banned
To my recollection, I have seen it occur in every environment I have been in; desert, jungle, etc. Most of the time, after exiting the helo, I was in the prone facing outboard. The helicopters you see by your house are most likely CH-46's (what the USMC uses), while Chinooks are the CH-47 (what the Army uses). They look very similar, so it is pretty easy to get them confused. If you see one landing or doing touch/gos (and you have a good set of binos), you should be able to see it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
It's not necessarily deserts. It's just where there is a buildup of static in the air. It's even wilder to see when you're riding inside.
Agreed. There is nothing like being inside. Well, except going out of the hellhole. Damn, I miss helos...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by SoCal C4S
To my recollection, I have seen it occur in every environment I have been in; desert, jungle, etc. Most of the time, after exiting the helo, I was in the prone facing outboard. The helicopters you see by your house are most likely CH-46's (what the USMC uses), while Chinooks are the CH-47 (what the Army uses). They look very similar, so it is pretty easy to get them confused. If you see one landing or doing touch/gos (and you have a good set of binos), you should be able to see it.
I know the difference between a Sea Knight and a Chinook, I'm actually located in Holland so it's the Dutch Marine Corps I'm referring too. Over here the marines either use Chinooks or Pumas from the air force or navy birds (Lynx).

Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
The guys are right, in any enviro where the static can build up for whatever reason.

The best way to see it is when your the schlep guiding the helo in.

The "worst" way to see it is if that SOB is coming in an there is no illumination, and he has no idea your ass is in his path! I know...

I had to un-ass a nice spot because a Huey driver at Ft. Irwin had no idea I was occupying where he wanted to be. I wasn't wearing night vision at the time, and all was blacked out... I've never moved so fast in my life!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
This ship is so cool