Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Good call 2thfixr!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Good call 2thfixr!

For once I saved money from advice here..

I was all hot and bothered to get the Canon 1DS Mark III, when Robert pointed me at the 1DS Mark II...I managed to get an amazing deal on a brand new one and get top dollar quickly for my Canon 5D..

After a mild panic attack that I made the wrong decision (as the controls are at first glance even stupider than the 5D), I settled down and started learning the camera..THings like changing the ISO took me probably 30 minutes..don't ask how long it has taken me to display imaages with any sort of control on the LCD..

I still have a lot of learning to do but am finally confident I will be even more comfortable with this camera over the 5D..

Also after in depth reading of the Mark III, I really am in no rush to get it..there are a few things I am not liking about it and I have no pressing need for it right now..

It's nice not to be an early adopter for once! I do plan on getting more serious with fine art photography and the bigger the file the better for that..

I'll have my eye on the next version of the Nikon D3.with the SOny 25 megapixel 35mm sensor...That's probably a long way in the future..but for now..I can learn this camera and start getting back to shooting..

Going to Puerto Rico on Wednesday and am bringing quite a bit of gear...it will be my first outing with the Mark II..Hope to post up some pics from there..

Robert..thanks for the advice..you were 100% on point with it.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond repute
actually its a good call x2.

Canon is supposed to replace the shutter mechanism and redo the focusing system (again).

Did you shoot any comparison shots before you sold the 5d?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheynk
actually its a good call x2.

Canon is supposed to replace the shutter mechanism and redo the focusing system (again).

Did you shoot any comparison shots before you sold the 5d?
wow..where did you hear this?

I have not done classic comparisons as I am not a fan of that sort of thing..I assume it's better cause it's heavier..and it impresses the chicks..

One thing I can say is the LCD on 5D is much better..interface for some things is easier...But like all Canon's imo, the interface is not that great..

One of these days, I am gonna find someone with a D3 and get a chance to use it..I am very curious how the focus system is..my guess is that it's better..but I am not losing sleep over it..

Meanwhile Gary...do yourself a favor and get a 5D! Might have a friend selling one soon..mint like mine was...stay tuned...

Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you are happy with it Mark! Those controls seem goofy at first but once you get the hang of it, it's faster and easier to use than the "regular" Canons. The battery pack lasts forever too!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:48 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Glad you are happy with it Mark! Those controls seem goofy at first but once you get the hang of it, it's faster and easier to use than the "regular" Canons. The battery pack lasts forever too!
I'm thrilled with it..I read the Mark III doesn't have a timer? Thought the Mark II didn't either but found it last night..really glad it's there..

Have to dig into the custom settings..camera feels really good in my hands..def feels like the 'right' camera for me...haven't taken anything other than a few test shots but it's promising for sure..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute2thfixr has a reputation beyond repute
"promising"???? Mark, it IS the top level PRO camera from Canon!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond reputesheynk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Control It
wow..where did you hear this?
Engadget, FM, and just about everywhere else...

As far as 5D goes...

Its a toss up. I want a new camera by march.

On one hand:
5D (mint used) = better prints (if I choose to use the really expensive process/paper) and truly wide angle. I am not worried about prints so the FF sensor is what I'm buying.

40D (new!) = dust remover, ef-s (17-55 2.8), pop up flash (I travel...I am not shoving a 580ex in my pocket to take a picture with some fill), digic3, new auto focus & spot meter.

I think FF might be better for my shooting style. However, it is tough to overlook the opportunity cost of the feature set.

New 5D will be way out of price range and the rumored 7D remains a rumor.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Get a 5D and a Rebel XTi or whatever the new one will be. I have a 1DsMarkII for regular use and a XTi for all of the reasons you stated above. For travel, the XTi is great, has the dust remover, can use the 17-55, pop up flash, etc. You also get the benefit of the 1.6x crop which is the cheapest glass money can buy plus it's cheap so you can beat on it all you want and not worry.

Use the 5D for everything else or do what Mark did and get a smoking deal on a MarkII.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Get a 5D and a Rebel XTi or whatever the new one will be. I have a 1DsMarkII for regular use and a XTi for all of the reasons you stated above. For travel, the XTi is great, has the dust remover, can use the 17-55, pop up flash, etc. You also get the benefit of the 1.6x crop which is the cheapest glass money can buy plus it's cheap so you can beat on it all you want and not worry.

Use the 5D for everything else or do what Mark did and get a smoking deal on a MarkII.
that is great advice if I had such a huge budget!

Right now I'm picking up a compact (mine was stolen). Probably a 870IS.

Thing is. (5D + xsi + 17-55 IS) - (20d + 17-85 IS) = a number too far away from 0 my 21 year old budget can afford (parents do not help with anything photo related).

In the end though, that is the perfect set up

Last edited by sheynk; 02-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
MrTheBadGuy
"promising"???? Mark, it IS the top level PRO camera from Canon!
hahaha...don't mean it like that exactly..meant promising as an option for me someday..meaning a nice $2K drop in list price and availability..

Quick Reply: Good call 2thfixr!