Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Taking pics in a smoky club: guidance...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:25 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Taking pics in a smoky club: guidance...

Ok...
My wifes cousin just called me in an obviously desperate situation...

She and her boyfriend are way into the blues community in Atlanta. They're taking pics and vids for a Jeff Healey Benefit at the Atlanta Blue Fest this evening. One of the people that were going to help them take pix had to drop out for this evening, and she in her desperate state called and asked if I'd help out. I was planning on going to the show anyways, but since I have a D80, I don't have a problem taking shots at all.
We will be at Atlanta's best blue club, Blind Willies this evening.
Blind Willie's - Atlanta's Finest Blues Bar
barking dog blues (ye ole cuzins' website for teh Blues)

So!

I thought that this might be a good learning opportunity for not only myself, a horrid photographer; but also anyone else that enjoys taking pics in seedy clubs.

Keeping in mind that I have the barest of necessities to do this, that being a D80, with only the lens that came with the camera; what do I need to do to the camera to take decent shots this evening?

Gotta love ambiguous question, no?

Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Teamspeed Member
Craddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond reputeCraddosk has a reputation beyond repute
I would say you have two choices if you don't want to use flash.

1) Bump your ISO up to a level that permits for you to get sharp shots, and shoot in shutter priority mode

2) use a tripod, run in shutter priority mode, and permit for "artistic blur" to occur. This can give some very interesting light painting shots

If you are planning to use a flash, (granted, I've yet to try this) you use the flash to expose the subject (singer, drummer, etc.) and have your shutter speed underexpose most of the background area. This will freeze the subject in "time". However, then you've got your flash going off non stop.

If your willing to fork out the dough, I would say pick up a lens with a 2.8 or lower aperture, and it will permit for faster shutter speeds.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Hope I'm not too late .

Crad mentioned dragging the shutter; here is what looks like a decent article: Dragging The Camera Shutter at the Wedding: WedPix Wedding Photography Article.

Anyhow, I'd recommend against using a tripod; you'll upset people, and those who aren't upset will just end up bumping you so it's a wash. Anyhow, a few tutorials that explain things better than I probably would:

Concert Photography by Photocritic

Concert Photography Masterclass : Boudist

Photographing Great Concert Photos - Learn How at BetterPhoto

Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Bluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond reputeBluestrike2 has a reputation beyond repute
Brian,

How did things go ? I want to see a thread here with the results .

Old 10-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Ok...
My wifes cousin just called me in an obviously desperate situation...

She and her boyfriend are way into the blues community in Atlanta. They're taking pics and vids for a Jeff Healey Benefit at the Atlanta Blue Fest this evening. One of the people that were going to help them take pix had to drop out for this evening, and she in her desperate state called and asked if I'd help out. I was planning on going to the show anyways, but since I have a D80, I don't have a problem taking shots at all.
We will be at Atlanta's best blue club, Blind Willies this evening.
Blind Willie's - Atlanta's Finest Blues Bar
barking dog blues (ye ole cuzins' website for teh Blues)

So!

I thought that this might be a good learning opportunity for not only myself, a horrid photographer; but also anyone else that enjoys taking pics in seedy clubs.

Keeping in mind that I have the barest of necessities to do this, that being a D80, with only the lens that came with the camera; what do I need to do to the camera to take decent shots this evening?

Gotta love ambiguous question, no?
He grew up 4 doors down from my current house, and his parents have taken over the house since his (tragic) passing.

Great guy, great parents, UNBELIEVABLE record collection

RIP Jeff.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
sirtom is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't believe I have never heard of Blind Willie's after reading the description... I'm glad I found this thread!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:06 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Its a shitty situation, exacerbated by the fact you have limited equipment.

So i would make it work in your favor my bumping up the ISO and taking some dark/ grainy shots to emphasis the atmosphere. Blues isnt meant to be sharp and crisp, its emotional and well, bluesy.

Get some mood into the photography, use the smoke and the dark lighting. Don't take technically good shots, take some technically bad shots, but by doing so, they will be great atmospheric and moody shots. Controlit knows what im talking about ( ) and he has also taken some cool shots for a friend of his, dancers or something? Backstage anyway.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh... don't worry... there was (and probably not any in the near future) technically good shots, but definitely a whole bunch of bad shots...

I did bump up the ISO, and put it in the shutter priority mode, but everything still looked like shiznit. Very dark...