Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Opinions needed- Nikon D80 or Canon XSi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
PorscheDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions needed- Nikon D80 or Canon XSi?

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around here for a while and you guys seem knowledgeable about cameras. Thus I need your help in choosing a DSLR. After reading all the reviews on all the cameras, I've narrowed it down to the XSi or the D80. I actually was going to stay with the XTi but for an additional $50 or so I might as well go for an XSi. Thus is boils down to the XSi vs D80.

I looked on Amazon and checked out all the pictures that people have posted. What I noticed was that the Nikon users had better pictures (better colors- more pop). I don't know whether those pictures had a lot of processing done or not though.

I'm looking to make a purchase very soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond reputedphouse has a reputation beyond repute
Hey,

I had a D60 and returned it for the new Nikon D90. Very very good body. Pick up the kit and be done with it until you get some more Nikkor glass.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
skitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond repute
In my opinion, you'll get comparable results with both. I personally am a fan of the Canon line, simply because that's what I started with.

I think the more important thing is the person behind the camera...to an extent, the actual camera makes little difference if the person using it hasn't a clue about how to take a picture.

With that being said, I'd recommend the XSi. I started with the RebelXT, and it was a great starter dSLR for me. I've never had issues with it, and it takes great pictures.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by dphouse
Hey,

I had a D60 and returned it for the new Nikon D90. Very very good body. Pick up the kit and be done with it until you get some more Nikkor glass.
I wish I could but the D90 is about $1300. That's quite a bit more than what I'm looking to spend. At most I would like to spend about $900 max with a good walk-around lens (17-85mm or equivalent).

Originally Posted by skitelluride531
In my opinion, you'll get comparable results with both. I personally am a fan of the Canon line, simply because that's what I started with.

I think the more important thing is the person behind the camera...to an extent, the actual camera makes little difference if the person using it hasn't a clue about how to take a picture.

With that being said, I'd recommend the XSi. I started with the RebelXT, and it was a great starter dSLR for me. I've never had issues with it, and it takes great pictures.
Yeah the only things that are drawing me over to Nikon right now are the good walk-around lens that comes with the kit and the color reproduction that I've seen (seems to have more "pop" to it). I've always liked Canon but after looking at the Nikon, I'm a little bit more confused now.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
skitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond reputeskitelluride531 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PorscheDreamer
I wish I could but the D90 is about $1300. That's quite a bit more than what I'm looking to spend. At most I would like to spend about $900 max with a good walk-around lens (17-85mm or equivalent).

Yeah the only things that are drawing me over to Nikon right now are the good walk-around lens that comes with the kit and the color reproduction that I've seen (seems to have more "pop" to it). I've always liked Canon but after looking at the Nikon, I'm a little bit more confused now.

The canon stock 18-55mm lens is lacking. The second you even play around with any other Canon lens, you will have a desire to replace the 18-55mm.

Personally, I would buy the XSi body, and buy a different canon lens to go with it. However, if you are looking to spend under $900 that might not be possible.

Nikon is great too, so given your current situation, going that route may be more appropriate.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
I just wanted to give you guys a quick update: I decided to go with the Canon XSi w/18-55mm IS lens. Now I'm looking to get the Canon 17-85mm IS as a walk-around lens. What are your thoughts on that lens? And thanks again for the opinions in helping me choose a camera!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Nikkon