Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi RS4 to get supercharged V6, R8 V10 to remain NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Audi RS4 to get supercharged V6, R8 V10 to remain NA

CAR sat down with a "high-placed Audi source" at the European launch of the Q5 and was able to pry out a few details about the automaker's future products.

To begin with, the next RS4 will use a retuned version of the supercharged, 3.0-liter V6 due to be fitted on the next S4. Audi's unnamed engineering mole said that the decision to go with the supercharged six was primarily to provide higher torque at lower RPMs. With the base engine putting out 290 hp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque, it's assumed that the tweaked version should crest the 350 hp mark and just under 400 lb.-ft. of torque. How that will play in the inevitable comparison test between the RS4's V8-powered competition remains to be seen.

The A1 is still set to debut in 2010, but despite its aim at MINI, Audi won't resort to retro styling. Based off the next Polo, the A1 will spawn several variants, including three- and five-door hatches, a convertible and an off-roader. While Audi has no plans to build anything smaller than the A1, it does plan to increase the size of the A3, along with offering a Q3 CUV inspired by the Cross Coupe Quattro concept.

And what of the R8? The V10 version is on its way this fall, but a turbocharged variant isn't in the cards, nor is the V12 TDI. And while Audi has continued to deny that it's working on an R4, CAR's source says that there's still room in the automaker's lineup for another R-badged vehicle.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Member
Speedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to allSpeedware is a name known to all
This is a quite interesting move by Audi IMHO. I really dont see the RS4 being able to keep up with the m3 or other cars in its class. I can understand going with the 6 cyl as it will increase gas milage and thus making the car more appealing. On the other hand it is nice that Audi is going back to forced induction for the RS4 as there will be much more potential for the car.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I'll wait and see... The only way I'm getting rid of my RS4 is if the new one is significantly better. I love mine now, lack of potential or not. The only things I want to do are to put an exhaust (still undecided which one) and Bilsteins on it.