Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Drive: The Audi RS5

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post First Drive: The Audi RS5

First Drive: The Audi RS5
We test out the RS5 for a few days down under to see how it stacks up to its rivals.
Text by Jesse Taylor - Teamspeed Contributing Editor

Like the North American market, I’ve waited a long time to drive the Audi RS5. Though the car launched in Europe and Asia in late 2010, the big, V8-engined coupe remained missing from my driving CV. So when a set of RS5 keys recently lobbed onto my desk, I was keen to discover if it continued the legacy of the brilliant, last-generation RS4 and whether it shared DNA strands with the sublime R8.

Ostensibly the same 4163cc V8 as that used in Audi’s R8 and RS4, the engine in the RS5 features detail changes to produce more power at higher revs than the R8. With 331kW at 8250rpm, the RS5 is up 22kW over the R8 and peak power is on tap 450rpm higher. Max torque remains as per the R8 at 430Nm but it’s spread over a plateau from 4000-6000rpm (4500-6000rpm in the R8).

These outputs put it in the middle of an all-German, all-V8 battle with the 309kW/400Nm 4.0-litre BMW M3, and the 336kW/600Nm 6.2-litre Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. The Benz is also available with a 358kW performance upgrade.

Compared to its rear-drive German counterparts, the RS5’s trump card is phenomenal all-wheel drive traction, which coupled to launch control and fast-shifting seven-speed dual clutch transmission, makes it a breeze to extract fast acceleration times. Simply engage launch control and the tacho needle flicks around to nearly 6000rpm as the V8 booms and stutters as it waits to be unleashed. Off the brake, pin the throttle and hold on as the front tyres slip with the rearward weight-transfer. Just 4.4 seconds later the big coupe has thundered past 100km/h on its way to a 12.6 second quarter mile. Both the M3 and C63 will match these numbers, but they’ll make you work so much harder for them. If she could hang on for the ride, your grandmother could nail the same time in the Audi.

Away from the drag strip, the Audi never feels super-fast – certainly not a match for the big-cube brawn of the C63. At 1725kg, the Audi is 145kg heavier than the M3 but 5kg lighter than the C63 Coupe – though the AMG has an additional 170Nm to help overcome the burden. Unless you’re really stretching the Audi to redline, it can get caught napping and feel a bit doughy through the mid-range. Above 5500rpm, however, the V8 spins hard and sounds furious doing it. And the way it smacks the speed-limiter at 250km/h suggests the RS5 has the power to give 300km/h a nudge if let off its electronic leash.

The RS5’s traction allows you to stamp on the throttle with impunity over twisty, even wet, roads. But with the front wheels charged with delivering power, the Audi’s steering feel is corrupted compared to that of the rear-drive Merc, or especially, the M3. Both the rivals also ride better; the Audi’s ride can turn brittle over broken tarmac and never really settles. Perhaps some blame can be apportioned to the optional 20-inch alloys on the test car I drove, but colleagues who’ve driven RS5’s on standard 19x9-inch alloys with 265/35 tyres confirm the ride is never anything other than firm.

Like all modern Audis, the interior of the RS5 is a work of art – minimalist modern art. The dash sweeps with an architectural flourish horizontally into the doors and vertically into the dominate centre stack. The materials are beautiful to the touch and the sports seats comfortable and supportive – handy given the lateral-g the big coupe can generate in the corners.

So would I buy the RS5 over an M3 or C63? No, I prefer the more involving character of the BMW or the surprisingly complete nature of the new C63 Coupe. Don’t get me wrong, the RS5 is a terrific car and not without considerable talents and charms. But, compared to its traditional rivals, it’s more of a mature GT car than a proper sports coupe. Aside from its less than perfect ride, the RS5 would make a fine daily driver (especially in winter) but I could never imagine taking an RS5 to a track day like you could with the M3 or C63.

Larger Images:

Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond reputedante71 has a reputation beyond repute
cool review, the car looks terrific in prson!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Nice looking. A friend just picked up an S5 this week. Very nice car.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Teamspeed Member
rubber_ducky is on a distinguished roadrubber_ducky is on a distinguished roadrubber_ducky is on a distinguished road
Great looking car. I love the E30 M3-like fender flares.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Ogaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond reputeOgaleicrum has a reputation beyond repute
That's new?

Last edited by Ogaleicrum; 12-28-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
The car we tested is a 2011. The 2012 isn't available yet for us to test.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Slayclops You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Great write up and thanks for sharing!! Are you going to test the 2012 one as well??

Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite Audi currently out. LOVE this car!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
I love Audi's, and I'm really looking forward to this car being available in Canada.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Teamspeed Member
FadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enoughFadeToBlack will become famous soon enough
The new car, in a dark grey, 20" wheels is the ideal "normal" car for me.

Quick Reply: First Drive: The Audi RS5